Invalid or malformed application: Check manifest Error after obfuscation with Dotfuscator CE RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I  have created a simple silverlight 3.0 application & run it. Its working fine.
    After that I have unzip my xap package & replace the obfuscated application dll & zip again. When I run it in browser it show me exception, I have tried Dotfuscator 5.0/VS2010.

Exception :

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.2; Trident/4.0; GTB6.3; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; Alexa Toolbar; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
    Timestamp: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 04:53:44 UTC

Code: 2103   
    Category: InitializeError      
    Message: Invalid or malformed application: Check manifest    

Line: 54
    Char: 13
    Code: 0
    URI: http://localhost/TestPage.html

So please let me know how can I resolve this.

Thanks in advance,
    Laxmilal Menaria

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:12 AM

Answers

•  Hi ,

Don't  Unzip and zip your XAP file. It will crash sometimes. Instead of that do like this

Open you .xap file in Winrar. After that what DLL you want to add just drag and drop into the RAR folder and close it. Now your XAP file is updated with your DLL.

Or else Use Chiron.exe from codeplex to do this work. 

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:29 AM
  •  I suspect that your problem is not necessarily with the manifest, unless you are manually changing the name of your entry point assembly.  It is more likely that either the entry point defined in your manifest was renamed by Dotfuscator or that you are referencing some types in your XAML that Dotfuscator renamed in the code behind. 

Dotfuscator CE 5 does ship with Smart Obfuscation turned on by default which attempts to analyze your application and exclude items from renaming that it know will be problematic.  You should check the Smart Obfuscation Warnings tab to see if Dotfuscator found any items that it could not definitely exclude from renaming and see if that gives you a good starting point.

I also recommend working with the renaming exclusions screen in Dotfuscator and excluding your entry point type or any other types that you reference from your XAML that were not found and automatically excluded by Smart Obfuscation.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:57 PM

All replies

•  Hi ,

Don't  Unzip and zip your XAP file. It will crash sometimes. Instead of that do like this

Open you .xap file in Winrar. After that what DLL you want to add just drag and drop into the RAR folder and close it. Now your XAP file is updated with your DLL.

Or else Use Chiron.exe from codeplex to do this work. 

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:29 AM
  •  I suspect that your problem is not necessarily with the manifest, unless you are manually changing the name of your entry point assembly.  It is more likely that either the entry point defined in your manifest was renamed by Dotfuscator or that you are referencing some types in your XAML that Dotfuscator renamed in the code behind. 

Dotfuscator CE 5 does ship with Smart Obfuscation turned on by default which attempts to analyze your application and exclude items from renaming that it know will be problematic.  You should check the Smart Obfuscation Warnings tab to see if Dotfuscator found any items that it could not definitely exclude from renaming and see if that gives you a good starting point.

I also recommend working with the renaming exclusions screen in Dotfuscator and excluding your entry point type or any other types that you reference from your XAML that were not found and automatically excluded by Smart Obfuscation.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:57 PM