none
How do I rename a site? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I'm trying to rename a site by clicking Site > Site Settings, and changing the Web name. However, I keep getting an error saying "Server error: Cannot rename "C:\Users\Shane\Documents\Goodman Ent\Pop-Ups\Web Site"".

I've checked "Maintain the site using hidden metadata files" and cleared "Include subsites". I see that "C:\Users\Shane\Documents\My Web Sites" has been renamed to "Default Site"—so why can't I rename my site?

I'm using Expression Web 4.0.1241.0.

Thanks,
    Shane.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
    • Edited by cShane Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:40 AM spelling
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:32 AM

All replies

• I was able to "rename" a site by removing it and then adding it again. I guess I'll just use this workaround as long as the bug exists.

Regards,
    Shane.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Not to put too fine a point on it, but I'm guessing that most folks would just name the site with its intended name when they create it. At least, that's the way I've always worked.

Not that the site name is that big a deal; it's just a folder, a way for EW to do the bookkeeping for the site, and for the dev to recognize it in the Open list. It has absolutely nothing to do with the final product, the published site, which is named by the domain name chosen. You can call your site HumptyDumpty in EW, and when you publish to www.mykillersite.com, its name is www.mykillersite.com, not HumptyDumpty.

In other words, don't sweat the small stuff. It ain't nuthin'...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:34 AM
  • I have no trouble renaming a site inside EW.  There is no bug doing that, as far as I can reproduce.

Not that I need to do this for real sites - I name them what I want them to be named, and since the name is nothing more than a folder name on the local PC, it hardly matters what it is, anyway.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:38 AM