Code coverage generates empty results: no binaries were instumented RRS feed

• Question

• 

Trying to run a simple code coverage test in VS 2015 Enterprise based on simple unit test in the documentation. The unit test runs fine but the code coverage shows 0% covered, 0% not covered. The results show an error indicating "Empty results generated: No binaries were instrumented. "

The System Event Log shows two TraceLog Profiles errors indicating: "The description for Event ID 1 from source TraceLog Profiler cannot be found. Either the component that raises the event is not installed on your computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

Thursday, May 2, 2019 2:14 AM

All replies

• Hi B.OBrien,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

According to your description, it seems that the symbol file(.pdb file) misses. Please check if the file locates in the ..\bin\Debug folder, then open the project Properties>>Build>>Advanced>>Debug Info to set "full".

If this issue persists, could you share the sample project using onedrive or github, then I will download and test in my side.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 2, 2019 9:35 AM
  • Thank you Dylan. I was able to resolve the problem by enabling the /Profile linker option on the unit test project, and also performing a clean rebuild of all projects in my solution, including the unit test project.
    Friday, May 3, 2019 6:39 PM
  • Hi B.OBrien,

I'm glad to hear that you have solved this issue.

Thank you for sharing the solution here. And I will appreciate that you could mark useful reply as answer, it will be beneficial to other community members which have the similar questions.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, May 6, 2019 1:45 AM
  • Where is "/Profile linker" in Visual Studio?
    Friday, March 27, 2020 4:56 PM