Questions in regards to universal apps

Question

• Hello,

I have WP8 apps I am looking to port to the Windows Store platform to take advantage of the new universal apps. However, it seems most of the guidance on this new app type is about starting with a Windows Store app and scaling it down to Windows Phone.

• What is the process for starting with a WP8 Silverlight app and converting it to a universal app? It seems that I have to start a new project in VS and start porting over files.
    • If my WP8 app has in-app purchases, can I extend already purchased durable IAPs to be valid for my users of the new universal app?
    • Where do I submit these new apps for certification? Can I extend my already existing WP8 apps and their IDs to include the universal app?
    • Can a WP7 XAP, WP8 XAP and 8.1 Universal apps exist all under the same ID? A WP8 XAP would hold over those whose phones are stuck in update limbo due to carrier meddling. I still support WP7 with one of my apps and submit WP7 and WP8 XAPs to the Windows Phone Store.

Thank you for your time.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:48 AM

Answers

• Yes to all of these.

There is no conversion wizard to change a Silverlight app to a Universal app. You will need to create a new project and then port your code over yourself.

You'll submit these to the same store and phone portals you do now once they are open for Universal apps. I don't know when that will be. If you use the same IDs they'll be considered the same apps across platforms.

--Rob

Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:39 PM
    Owner