none
How to disable Promote and Demote in smartart? RRS feed

• Question

• To disable the button "Add Bullet" from the menu of "Design" of "SmartArt Tools", we can do as follow in layout.xml:

<varLst>    

<bulletEnabled val="0"/>

</varLst>

So my question is for the buttons "Promote" and "Demote", is it possible to disable these buttons? Is there any properties like:

<promoteEnabled val="0"/>

<demoteEnabled val="0"/>

Thanks

Note:I am using PowerPoint 2013

• Edited by chipbk11 Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:22 AM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:22 AM

Answers

• Hi chipbk11, the ISO 29500 specification does not have elements for disabling the SmartArt Promote and Demote buttons similar to the buttonEnabled element and the others in section 21.4.6. However, it can be done by customizing the ribbon using a Ribbon Extensibility Part according to the MS-CUSTOMUI document. The only drawback to this is that is must be done to the main PPTX package and does not work for individual GLOX files.

Here is how you can do it to a PPTX package.

1. Add the following line to the /rels/.rels file.
      • <Relationship Target="/customUI/customUI.xml" Type="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/relationships/ui/extensibility" Id="rId5"/>
      • Note: you may need to use a different Id value.
    2. Create a folder named "customUI" in the root of the package.
    3. Create a new XML file in the customUI folder called "customUI.xml".
    4. Add the following XML to the customUI.xml file.
      • <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui">

<commands>

<command idMso="SmartArtPromote" enabled="false" />

<command idMso="SmartArtDemote" enabled="false" />

</commands>

</customUI>

Now when you open the presentation in PowerPoint you'll notice that the Promote and Demote buttons remain disabled.

Please let me know if this helps.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, October 3, 2014 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hello chipbk11,

Thank you for your question. A member of the protocol documentation team will respond to you soon.

Best regards,
    Matt Weber | Microsoft Open Specifications Team

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Hi chipbk11, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Friday, October 3, 2014 4:16 PM
  • Hi chipbk11, the ISO 29500 specification does not have elements for disabling the SmartArt Promote and Demote buttons similar to the buttonEnabled element and the others in section 21.4.6. However, it can be done by customizing the ribbon using a Ribbon Extensibility Part according to the MS-CUSTOMUI document. The only drawback to this is that is must be done to the main PPTX package and does not work for individual GLOX files.

Here is how you can do it to a PPTX package.

1. Add the following line to the /rels/.rels file.
      • <Relationship Target="/customUI/customUI.xml" Type="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/relationships/ui/extensibility" Id="rId5"/>
      • Note: you may need to use a different Id value.
    2. Create a folder named "customUI" in the root of the package.
    3. Create a new XML file in the customUI folder called "customUI.xml".
    4. Add the following XML to the customUI.xml file.
      • <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui">

<commands>

<command idMso="SmartArtPromote" enabled="false" />

<command idMso="SmartArtDemote" enabled="false" />

</commands>

</customUI>

Now when you open the presentation in PowerPoint you'll notice that the Promote and Demote buttons remain disabled.

Please let me know if this helps.

Friday, October 3, 2014 7:23 PM