How to get wireless infomation in metro app?

Question

• How to get Nearby wireless information use metro app? e.g. wifi's name and wifi's signal etc.

thanks!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• I don't believe this is possible from a Metro app. There is connectivity information available in the following namespace. This in particular will tell you if the system has Internet connectivity if that's what you are after.

Windows.Networking.Connectivity.NetworkInformation.getInternetConnectionProfile

If you are wanting the manipulate wireless network connections for the system, then you may look at a Desktop app for that purpose.

Thanks,

-David

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:55 AM
  • IRadioInstanceCollection *radioInstancCollecton;

CoInitialzeEx(NULL,COINIT_MULTITHREADED);

HRESULT hr = CoCreateInstance(IID_IRadioInstanceCollection,NUL,CSCTX_INPROC_SERVE,ID_PPV_ARGS(&radioInstancCollecton));

why? hr =REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG 0x80040154 Class not registered

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:26 AM
  • You stumbled across one of the Win32 API's for Devices that was not intended to be used from Metro style apps. Unfortunately the change did not make it in time to keep it from getting published in the Developer Preview. These two Win32 APIs will not be available in the Doc's or SDK for Metro style apps moving forward:

IRadioInstanceCollection

IRadioInstance

Sorry for the confusion there.

-David

• Marked as answer by hot_blood2001 Friday, December 16, 2011 1:44 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:37 PM
  • I want to use Radio Management api to manage the wireless device. I find some radioManager in register like :HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\RadioManagement\{GUID}.

How can i manage these RadioManager by using Radio Management api? Please support a sample for me,thanks!!!

(My app is a desktop app not metro).  Please help me !

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:11 AM
  • @maomx

Desktop app questions are discussed in the Windows Desktop Development forums.

-David

Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

I am currently trying to do the same thing (wireless info). Did you finally manage to make it in metro app ?

If yes, could you tell me how ?

Cheers

Charles

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:55 AM
  • Charles,

The ProvisioningAgent.provisionFromXml() would allow you to push a set of WLAN profiles to Windows.  You cannot access the scan list or issue connect/disconnect requests.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.networking.networkoperators.provisioningagent.provisionfromxmldocumentasync.aspx#Y288

Best Wishes - Eric

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:28 AM
  • hello friend,

I want scan WiFi  in metro application. I made a application WiFi scan in windows xp as well as windows 7 and i want to make this application in windows 8 but i have no any idea to get WiFi scan results so please help me .

For windows xp and 7 i used native API but native API for WiFi scan  does not support in windows 8 and one more thing is for get wifi scan result i use NETSH command in windows 7 and i read command output for WiFi scan but in windows 8 no option for command execution.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:00 AM