none
V8 Universal Sample RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a Windows 10 Universal sample that showcases the new features of Version 8 (not web) ?

Thanks.

Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:01 PM

Answers

• Bing Maps Version 8 is the Web Control version. "Version 8" is unrelated to the UWP control.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:07 PM
  • Yes, these newly announced features were for the web control. That said, this functionality is based on a java script version to the Java Topology Suite. There is already a .net version you can likely use fairly easily here: https://github.com/NetTopologySuite/NetTopologySuite

Sunday, December 18, 2016 5:34 PM
  • Not sure if these will ever make it to the UWP control. The most of the apps using maps in UWP apps we have seen are consumer focused while the web control is used by well over 80% of our customer base in line of business apps. I'll have to sync up with the Windows team to see if they plan to add these type of features (I've already recommended they do a while ago). If anything we will likely put together a couple of open source projects with nugget packages that can easily be added to apps. I had tried to add Win10 support to the Spatial Tools project when the win10 map control first came out but their were too many issues with the control at the time and most of the functionality in the spatial tools is limited to 2D maps. I believe most of the issues have been resolved but there is still the 3D maps hurdle to over come for some features.

Shapefile support wasn't added to the V8 control for a couple of reasons;

• Shapefiles are usually fairly large binary files. It is possible to work with binary files in JavaScript but it is a decent amount of work. A lot of times the number of shapes or the density of data points in Shapefiles is simply too much for most map controls. Nearly every mapping platform recommends uploading shapefiles into a database and rendering it as a tile layer as that will offer the best performance.
    • Shapefiles are often in different projection systems. Limiting the functionality to a single projection system would simply things, but would limit the usefulness.
    • We have a lot of features on the roadmap for Bing Maps V8 and it takes time to build them all. We just haven't gotten to this yet.
    • The Bing Spatial Data Services already support uploading Shapefiles in different projection systems and exposes them as a spatial REST service. V8 has a module for accessing the Bing Spatial Data Service which is really easy to use. For many applications this a better solution that loading the shapefile from the client browser.

All this said, I have been considering adding this, possibly as an open source project as there has been a lot of requests to make our modules open source (which we likely do with many of the existing ones). There are a few shapefile readers for JavaScript on GitHub. I'll have to go through them and find one that works well and also has a developer friendly license (preferably MIT) and can work in a web worker. Getting one of those to work with Bing Maps would be fairly easily as you simply would need to convert from one shape object type to Bing Maps shapes.

Monday, December 19, 2016 4:16 PM

All replies

• Bing Maps Version 8 is the Web Control version. "Version 8" is unrelated to the UWP control.

Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:07 PM
  • That was a speedy response :)

So is the new Voronoi and Hull additions only available on the web control ?

Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Yes, these newly announced features were for the web control. That said, this functionality is based on a java script version to the Java Topology Suite. There is already a .net version you can likely use fairly easily here: https://github.com/NetTopologySuite/NetTopologySuite

Sunday, December 18, 2016 5:34 PM
  • Any news on when it will filter down to the universal control ?

Oh and also,  why was the Shapefile import from Spatial Tools not included in the web control ?

Sunday, December 18, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Not sure if these will ever make it to the UWP control. The most of the apps using maps in UWP apps we have seen are consumer focused while the web control is used by well over 80% of our customer base in line of business apps. I'll have to sync up with the Windows team to see if they plan to add these type of features (I've already recommended they do a while ago). If anything we will likely put together a couple of open source projects with nugget packages that can easily be added to apps. I had tried to add Win10 support to the Spatial Tools project when the win10 map control first came out but their were too many issues with the control at the time and most of the functionality in the spatial tools is limited to 2D maps. I believe most of the issues have been resolved but there is still the 3D maps hurdle to over come for some features.

Shapefile support wasn't added to the V8 control for a couple of reasons;

• Shapefiles are usually fairly large binary files. It is possible to work with binary files in JavaScript but it is a decent amount of work. A lot of times the number of shapes or the density of data points in Shapefiles is simply too much for most map controls. Nearly every mapping platform recommends uploading shapefiles into a database and rendering it as a tile layer as that will offer the best performance.
    • Shapefiles are often in different projection systems. Limiting the functionality to a single projection system would simply things, but would limit the usefulness.
    • We have a lot of features on the roadmap for Bing Maps V8 and it takes time to build them all. We just haven't gotten to this yet.
    • The Bing Spatial Data Services already support uploading Shapefiles in different projection systems and exposes them as a spatial REST service. V8 has a module for accessing the Bing Spatial Data Service which is really easy to use. For many applications this a better solution that loading the shapefile from the client browser.

All this said, I have been considering adding this, possibly as an open source project as there has been a lot of requests to make our modules open source (which we likely do with many of the existing ones). There are a few shapefile readers for JavaScript on GitHub. I'll have to go through them and find one that works well and also has a developer friendly license (preferably MIT) and can work in a web worker. Getting one of those to work with Bing Maps would be fairly easily as you simply would need to convert from one shape object type to Bing Maps shapes.

Monday, December 19, 2016 4:16 PM