none
deploy php application on Microsoft Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In our organization, we have a php application that is currently hosted on web. We have purchased a windows web hosting plan from a service provider that has php and mySQL support and our application is running successfully on this hosting plan.

The system requirements for running the php application as per the application owner are as follows:

To install the application, you will need a web server with PHP and MySQL support.

Minimum system requirements:
    - PHP 5.0.0
    - MySQL 5.0.7

Recommended system requirements:
    - Latest stable version of PHP
    - Latest stable version of MySQL

Operating system:
    - Windows, 
    - Linux,
    - FreeBSD,
    - Mac OS,
    - any other system with a working web server capable of running PHP and MySQL

We are ending our contract with the current hosting plan provider. We intend to switch to Microsoft Azure to deploy this php application. As of today, the database and the application are utilizing 350 MB of the total disk space provided by the hosting plan. The application is being used by 45 users by accessing the application through the browser. I need to know, what web service and storage I will have to purchase at Microsoft Azure to deploy our php application on Microsoft Azure?

Regards,

Shehzad

Friday, January 13, 2017 7:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

few options here:

- install IaaS VM and install webserver/application on top

- use Azure Web Apps, this is the PaaS version and can host your app without any problems, biggest advantage is that you do not need to maintain infrastructure or platform. This also has automatic monitoring and backups.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/app-service/web/?b=16.52

Cheers Christophe

---------------------------------------------

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread and ‘Vote as Helpful’

---------------------------------------------

Azure Fanatic! www.cloudcrusader.com

Friday, January 13, 2017 3:21 PM
  • Thank you so much for your reply.

We are interested in getting Platform as a service (PaaS). We need web services and web server running in Azure on which we can deploy our php + mySQL application.

When I view the pricing categories on Microsoft Azure's website, it displays Compute, Networking, Storage, and Web + Mobile. So, what I understand is that our requirements fall under Web + Mobile category. Within Web + Mobile category, we need to purchase App Service.

When I view App Service plans at:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/app-service/plans

I get the details of five plans; Free, Shared, Basic, Standard, and Premium. From the requirements that I mentioned in the initial post, we believe that shared plan will meet our requirements. Are we inferring correctly? Also, in the comparison chart, there is a field maximum instances that shows blank for free and shared, up to 3 for Basic, up to 10 for Standard, and up to 50 for Premium. Can you please tell us what does this mean?

When I check the pricing for the service plans at:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/?service=app-service

it gives me pricing as follows:

Region: West US, Tier: Free, Instant Size: F1

Estimated Monthly Cost: $0.00

Region: West US, Tier: Shared, Instant Size: D1

Estimated Monthly Cost: $9.67

Region: West US, Tier: Basic, Instance Size: B1

Estimated Monthly Cost: $55.80

Region: West US, Tier: Standard, Instance Size: S1

Estimated Monthly Cost: $74.40

Region: West US, Tier: Premium, Instance Size: P1

Estimated Monthly Cost: $223.20

So, if I calculate for the Shared service plan, the annual cost comes out to be $9.67 * 12 = $116.04.

Is this the correct calculation? Please confirm.

Regards,

Shehzad

Saturday, January 14, 2017 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

sorry for the late response, was traveling ...

yes, your calculation is correct, however, for production workload I would advice to use the standard option

Cheers Christophe Kindly click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread and Vote as Helpful Azure Fanatic! www.cloudcrusader.com

Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:27 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your expert advice.

Can you please also tell me the following:

In the comparison chart, there is a field maximum instances that shows blank for free and shared, up to 3 for Basic, up to 10 for Standard, and up to 50 for Premium. Can you please tell us what does maximum instances mean?

MaxInstances

Regards,

Shehzad

Monday, January 16, 2017 5:01 AM
  • Hi Shehzad,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft forums. We are pleased to answer your query.

You may check the links below in order to understand Instances in App Services:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/devschool/2015/05/24/azure-how-to-auto-scale-your-web-apps-web-sites/

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/waws/2015/11/03/monitoring-your-multiple-azure-web-app-instances/

I hope that the reply will assist you in getting your query addressed. In case you require further assistance, please do reply to the thread as we are always available to your queries.

Regards,
    Sapna Girish

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread and also “Vote as Helpful”.

Sapna G

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:31 PM
  • Thank you so much Sapna.

The two links mentioned in your post are very helpful to me.

Regards,

Shehzad

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:35 AM