Design Time Exception RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom controls (AccountView) that contains another custom control (AccountHeaderView).  The AccountHeaderView displays fine in Expression Blend but when I open the AccountView in Expression Blend there is just the red exclamation mark where the AccountHeaderView should be.  I have gone out of my way to design the application in a way that it would be Blend friendly but these exclamation marks happen way too often.

The exception in Expression Blend says "The type 'TrueToVisibleConverter' was not found".

The 'TrueToVisibleConverter' in question exists in an external dll and is used throughout the current project without any problems.  I believe this exception is garbage and that if there is actually some issue it is something else entirely and blend is throwing this erroneous exception.  Again, this seems to happen all too often in Blend.

To check this I added this line of code to the AccountHeaderView constructor before InitializeComponent(): 

Asi.Common.Converters.TrueToVisibleConverter test = new Common.Converters.TrueToVisibleConverter();

I then attached the visual studio debugger to the blend process and tried to open the AccountView in Blend.  The code executes fine and has no problem finding the TrueToVisibleConverter type.  I then step into InitializeComponent() and suddenly, at the following line of code, Blend is unable to find the type:

System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(this, new System.Uri("/Asi.FundTracker.UI.Silverlight;component/Views/Account/AccountView3/AccountHeade" + "rView3.xaml", System.UriKind.Relative));

I have no idea what the issue is and this is as far as I'm able to get with my knowledge of debugging.  Please, please, please somebody tell me what the heck is going on here.  It is virtually impossible to create any complex line of business application without a designer and now the designer isn't working.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a problem with a line in the xaml where TrueToVisibleConverter is referenced, could you post the xaml where it is used?
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:06 PM