none
New flight 14993 released for Insiders

General discussion

• We have released a new flight with the build number 14993 for insiders. If you discover any new issues, please report it using the feedback app.

New this build:

• Cortana feature has been enabled.
    • The Dragonboard BSP in the provided FFU has been updated to the new build.
    • The Windows Device Portal (WDP/Web Management) has been extended to add a quick run portal for IoT Samples.
    • A fix was made to the Class Extensions for Hardware Notification (hwnclx) and USB Function (usbfnclx) packages so that they would be included in the default IoT Core images.
    • Changes were made to IoTShell to enable waiting for PPKG provisioned package installation to complete.
    • Updates were made to the GPIO Interrupt Buffer API.
    • Changes were made to Applyupdate.exe to add the blockrebooton/blockrebootoff flags.
    • A fix was made to the power state API to ensure the wakeup timer is cancelled upon exiting from connected standby.
    • Universal Write Filter (UWF) has been added as an option to the Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD).
    • The BluetoothLE stack has been updated to address the issues seen when calling GattDeviceService.GetCharacteristics.
    • Issues with NanoRDP connecting have been addressed.

Known Issues:

• The package version for some inbox applications may not match the installed version.
    • Store applications are not being serviced when in use or set as the default application.
    • NanoRDP does not render correctly on some platforms.
    • When multiple audio devices are present on the board audio routing changes may not persist across boots.
    • The MinnowBoard Max firmware 0.93 has a known issue which can lead to network connectivity failure. 

Thanks!

Friday, December 16, 2016 7:34 PM

All replies

• Is the On-Screen-Keyboard included in this update?
    Friday, December 16, 2016 10:52 PM
  • It doesn't seem to be available for me.
    Saturday, December 17, 2016 8:45 AM
  • Would it be possible to get the OSK as an App Package? I'm really interested in this feature, it has been "available" for a while now, but is still impossible to try it.
    Saturday, December 17, 2016 5:43 PM
  • How can I use the Cortana feature?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 3:24 PM
  • I seems I'm stuck with flight version 10.0.14971.1000.

Trying to update with the Windows Update tab in the Device Portal says my device is up to date. How can I fix it?

Desde España / From Spain

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 5:20 PM
  • It looks like it's downloaded and installed  10.0.14993.1000, but it can't finish the update.

"Updates installed. Please restart to complete the update process."

"Update and restart" menu item doesn't do anything.

Had to restart using "shutdown /r /t 0" command but it doesn't finish the update.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:30 PM
  • The full install of 14986 is now available and includes the OSK. Seems to work well as well!

Changing the device language or keyboard language, doesn't seem to have an effect. Is this a future enhancement, or am I missing something?

• Edited by Slicc Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:26 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:24 AM
  • only 14986 is available on the insider download page.

Dave

Friday, December 23, 2016 2:22 PM
  • Hi Dave,

14986 should have OSK if downloaded and installed to the SD Card rather than by update.  Once installed, it should update to 14993.

Sincerely,
    IoTGirl

Friday, December 23, 2016 7:24 PM
  • Please elaborate on "GPIO Interrupt Buffer API". I'm waiting for a long time on a promise of buffered and timestamped pin events and this appears to be the first public sight of such features. I found the new functions available to start the buffer and counting on the but get an exception that the GpioPin cannot be cast to an IGpioPin2 interface. There is no documentation I could find on this subject.

Also the Lightning drivers are totally broken in this and recent builds. The same code which worked previously just hangs when opening pins with the lightning provided controller.

I guess this is all to do with the whole "inbox vs lightning" driver complexities and the hint at reconciliation of the two. Please give us a hint which direction you are currently moving towards, when the complete API and documentation for enhanced interrupts will be available.

I have build 10.0.14993.1000 developing in VS2015 with all updates and NuGet packages updated to the latest preview builds of .NET Core UWP v5.3.0-beta2 and Lightning v1.1.0 stable. I'm running on a Raspberry Pi 3 with a HAT providing many GPIO, I2C and SPI devices.

Quote in August at my project site issue on this subject: https://github.com/ms-iot/BusProviders/issues/26

"the next preview build* of IoT Core will provide a timestamp, captured as early as possible, for each interupt. We'll also store them in a reasonably large (1 page) buffer so you don't have to service the events in real time to get the appropriate data. Please give it a try and let us know if it meets your needs.

We're working on better reconciliation between the in-box and direct memory mapped driver. That will be available in a future preview and we'll have more details as we get closer."

Key Artefacts

Friday, December 30, 2016 9:57 PM
  • Does this build support hardware PWM with inbox GPIO driver?
    Monday, January 02, 2017 5:31 PM
  • There will never be "hardware" PWM because there is no PWM chip on the Raspberry Pi. Guess you knew that and are really asking the same question as I just did. Assuming you are talking about GPIO input, not output which already has software PWM samples or just buy a cheap PCA9685 and use code for that connected via I2C.

If it's GPIO PWM input which you want too, then we need the GpioPin to record changes at low level (buffered) so we can detect patterns (protocols) and when that data comes through we need the timestamps of the events/cycles to make any sense of them. The current pin changed event just has rising or falling edge and guessing the time afterwards is too slow and introduces massive inaccuracies.

From the error message I saw trying to activate the features already in the framework, it appears to require an new but sadly inaccessible IGpioPin2 interface. So there is sign of progress but we are waiting in the dark for the next "flight". The question is then, can MS give us another hint to the API roadmap and rough release schedule for that.

Personally I think there are two levels of IoT device operation which bring more or less of a need for this. That pattern already exists in the other SBCs so does not need to be justified any further... Specifically I mean user and "realtime" OS releases (or "RTOS patch" in the Linux implementation of this). This device controller driver switching we have been trying from "inbox" to "memory mapped" is analogous to that. I hope MS adopt a similar easy to understand naming and configuration scheme for all this towards the first feature complete release.

p.s. on the subject of naming, MS shouldn't you be using the word "release" or "build" rather "flight". Just a tip, never saw that before and it's strange.

Key Artefacts

• Edited by Code Chief Monday, January 02, 2017 8:10 PM
    Monday, January 02, 2017 8:07 PM
  • Not true. There is a two channel PWM controller peripheral built into the  BCM2835 as used on the Raspberry Pi.

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/BCM2835-ARM-Peripherals.pdf

Dave

Monday, January 02, 2017 8:27 PM
  • regarding PWM please read the statement from Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, Windows IoT Core

<snip>

Windows 10 IoT Core does support PWM (in fact all versions of Windows have support for the Windows.Devices.* namespace and only require a provider to be implemented - We only implemented a provider for IoT Core and it's supported boards).

Unfortunately while the RPi boards have some PWM capability, it is somewhat limited. We recommend that people looking to run PWM based motors on a Pi do so using an external motor controller board (like the Adafruit one being discussed).

reference: original thread

</snip>

Monday, January 02, 2017 8:32 PM
  • Not true. There is a two channel PWM controller peripheral built into the  BCM2835 as used on the Raspberry Pi.

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/BCM2835-ARM-Peripherals.pdf

Dave

No I wasn't aware of that capability. Thanks, but unfortunately it think that still doesn't help me. After quick read through the specification you sent, they appear to be designed for PWM output not input. Elsewhere I found that only one is really available and they are both usually consumed by the audio driver. The other thing which put me off is the specification quotes a lot of GPIO pins are involved so it most likely wouldn't work with the HAT I have alongside. Please correct me if I am wrong then I will look in more detail.

I need to decode GPIO input, the feature to support that has already been promised and I think it's this "Buffered GPIO API" that appeared in the announcement. That's my question anyway.

Clearly PWM input and output have completely different requirements and limitations. Having worked with 3D printers an RC models a lot I would also recommend an off-board PWM driver chip for people who need output. Input is difficult because decoding protocols is very time critical and requires software logic that may change over time. Ideally it needs a coprocessor then. In fact the new version of the HAT I support has already moved to that design. But it would still be nice to get the buffered API to support the existing hardware and a capability that is very useful for many other requirements, e.g. accurate sensing, data logging, fast prototyping communications solutions, etc...

Anyway thanks for the link that wasn't so obvious to me and appears to be hidden away for a good reason (designed for audio). Looks like we already have all the different possible solutions for hardware and software GPIO output then.

Hopefully MS will comment on the Buffer API and inbox so it's clear what's happening with GPIO input and driver controllers too.

EDIT: To clarify I should use the term PPM (Pulse Position Modulation) for GPIO input, not PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) which is the GPIO output usage that others are talking about here. GPIO input pin change event timing and buffering is essential for PPM, so I'm looking forward to that.

• Edited by Code Chief Monday, January 02, 2017 10:54 PM Clarification
    Monday, January 02, 2017 8:59 PM
  • Display Resolution still only 1280x720 reported jan 2016 and apr 2016 still not solved (Android and also Linux support Full HD and also other resolutions)

Connected devices is wrong reported feb 2016 still not solved

after more than ONE YEAR waiting time for a new BSP!!

you experience issues with your dragonboard? or you found something solved in the new BSP?

please update this thread, thank you

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 12:14 AM
  • Hi Folks,

Please report all Windows Insider build related issue through the feedback app rather than creating new threads/responses. The feedback app creates action items within the Windows Team that can be escalated and reviewed by a number of related team owners and is far more effective in getting your feedback into the right hands.

Sincerest thanks,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 7:16 AM
  • unfortunately only 2 people had the same issue with the screen resolution and the feedback app item opened 5 month ago was ignored

so to me it looks like windows iot does not have enough market share and not enough people use the dragonboard to be able to use the windows feedback app as valuable tool

its not the first time i have negative experience with the feedback app, for example crashing Cortana on Windows 10 Mobile on Microsoft Lumia 640XL still not solved since month

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 12:52 PM
  • Hi Cyberhome,

I can assure you that all Qualcomm related issues are referred to them but they do not use this forum.  The feedback tool generates issues that can be shared through the Partner portal and assigned to Qualcomm but we don't set issue priority for them, their customers likely do.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 6:23 PM
  • I must be on the fringe of users with IoTCore because I don't see much activity with regards to the Joule.  My IoTCore OS is on an external USB drive.  Insider build 14993.

This latest update has completed bricked by Joule, again, and the third time over the last week.   Had to update firmware BIOS the last time.  BTW, while it's trying to update, the Ethernet activity indicator is NOT lit.  Using a dongle, no Ethernet port on Joule.

Not happy, and very concerned.

(No issues with Minnow, however.)

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 4:59 AM
  • Hi Mark,

Have you been able to report the issues with IoT Core on the Joule board through the feedback app? If not, do you have a set of repeatable steps you could provide with a full description of your hardware and software topology such that some might try it and see the same issue?

Sincere thanks,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 5:39 PM
  • I embarassed to say that I don't know what the 'feedback' app is.

As far as the steps go, well, my device simply starts to update itself.  Spinning gears are displayed on the connected LCD screen, as per usual when an update is in progress.

I have three observations to share.

First.  The progress (as shown by the thin, white, horizontal line displayed across the spinning gears on the display) advances less than 5%, then just remains there.  In the last update attempt, it didn't advance at all.

Second.  Since this is a Joule device and has no Ethernet port, I don't quite understand how the update is being delivered because the Etherent adapter (USB-based device) is inactive.  There are two indicators on Ethernet 'dongle'; a green and a yellow (presumably for connection speed feedback) and they are both off.  So, I don't think that Internet access is available.  I suppose the update initiates itself while the IoT Core OS is fully functional, and Ethernet is available, but as soon as the update starts (I was present two out of three times it updated) the USB dongle indicators turn off.

Third.  I also have a few Intel Minnow Turbots on-line.  They updated successfully over the last week or so.

I tried to restore the Joule after the failed updates by cycling the power.  But, in the second last case, the BIOS got corrupted.  In this last case, the device immediately resumed trying to update itself but failed again.  I had to 'dism an FFU image' on to the USB drive to get the device to function again.

BTW, I have, now, disabled all auto-updates by shutting down the update service (thru Power Shell) on all my Joule devices.  I wonder if Windows will restore the settings at some point.

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 10:22 PM
  • I embarassed to say that I don't know what the 'feedback' app is.

Feedback Hub, installable from Windows Store if not already installed on your system...
    Wednesday, January 04, 2017 11:13 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Update works in 3 steps:

1.Download the compressed update package

2.Uncompress

3.Apply

At stage 3 there is nothing to download so I would not expect to see activity on the network dongle.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, January 05, 2017 12:19 AM
  • To try Cortana feature,
    • Please check “Start Cortana on Boot” on Device Settings of Windows Device Portal and restart the device.
    • Navigate to Device Settings on top right of default application, click ‘Cortana & Search Settings’, this will launch the consent page for Cortana. After you click ‘sure’ to accept the consent, you are all set for Cortana.
    • When you want to check your reminder, or traffic near you, you will be prompted to sign in with MSA. Please sign in so that you will have full experience Cortana.

Instructions:

• You need to get one microphone and one speaker connected with your device.
      • On the Device Settings page of Windows Device Portal, check if your microphone and speaker is the one displayed against Speakers and Microphone. Click the Refresh button and make sure the correct peripherals are displayed.
      • Adjust the volume for both to be in the range 40-70%. (Please make sure Microphone is not 0.0)
      • Here is the hardware that we recommend: 
    • Questions you can ask:
      • What is the traffic to my home?
      • What song is this?
      • How’s the weather?
      • Tell me a joke.
    • How to exit Cortana
      • Say “Hey, Cortana” and then say “Cancel”

Friday, January 06, 2017 12:07 AM
  • I've posted instructions on how to use Cortana on Windows IoT Core.  Please let us know if you run into any issues.
    Friday, January 06, 2017 12:08 AM
  • Can you please let me know if Cortana for IOT is available for Spanish speaking language apps?
    Friday, January 06, 2017 11:55 AM
  • @Cristaleja

Cortana in IoT Core Insider Release is currently a work in progress and at this point only supports English.  Any change to this or other features will be announced when they are available

Friday, January 06, 2017 6:11 PM
  • @masatos

i did a fresh install with #14986 insider release and after auto update to #14993 no Cortana included in device settings so i checked the installed IoTCoreDefaultApp version

IoTCoreDefaultApp
    Version: 1.0.1610.24000
    Publisher: CN=MSFT
    PackageFullName: IoTCoreDefaultApp_1.0.1610.24000_arm__1w720vyc4ccym

and based on GitHub the version with Cortana included should be

IoTCoreDefaultApp
    Version: 1.2.0.0
    Publisher: CN=MSFT
    PackageFullName: IoTCoreDefaultApp_1.2.0.0_arm__1w720vyc4ccym

after installing the GitHub version Cortana is available in device settings....

br
    Andre

Monday, January 09, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Has the on-screen keyboard been implemented in the latest build and does code work with the keyboard?

Thanks,

Dan DeMerchant

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:59 AM
  • hello

its working for me with #14993

br
    Andre

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:50 AM
  • Hi Andre,

15002 has just been released. Is it still working for you on that build?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:38 PM
  • yes but in combination with Cortana not useful as Cortana shows a text field on her screen and the keyboard pops up and hides the text field

i don't think the keyboard is really needed in case of Cortana anyway we will see how Microsoft solves this

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Thanks Andre. I will forward this feedback to the feature owners.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:56 PM
  • what does "somewhat limited" here mean? All I need is to keep P% duty cycle ouptut at F kHz by the chip itself. Isn't it possible with BCM2835?
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:30 AM
  • I need PWM output. The same like in cheapest microcontrollers
    • Edited by OZone- Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:37 AM saw inswer in former reply
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:36 AM
  • can we use PWM through audio driver?
    can we poduce frequency modulated sine with 3.3V swing?
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:43 AM