none
licensing question RRS feed

• Question

• Everyone at our location has MSDN subscriptions and we are using TFS 2010. There is a programmer at location B outside the company who has licensed VS2008 Pro and wants to connect to our TFS. Can they just install Team Explorer 2008 and connect or do they need additional license for anything?

Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:59 PM

Answers

• Thats a good question GrandPixel_NG, sorry for the delay in my response.

The way I understand things is that everyone needs to be licensed to use the software.  MSDN Licensing is easy for me to cover because its just "everyone using the software needs a license, and they need to be only doing software development, no games, no production work, etc." 

The question is whether or not that outside programmer is licensed to use your TFS.  From what you've said, it sounds like they may not be, unless they're licensed through some other method that you haven't mentioned, as it sounds like your company hasn't licensed them to use it.

Have you reviewed the VS2010 Licensing White Paper? I know it covers MSDN and TFS licensing in thorough detail: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2b1504e6-0bf1-46da-be0e-85cc792c6b9d

If you're still stumped, let me know, I can try to find someone internally who can address this TFS scenario.

Thanks,
    Mike 

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:58 PM