none
Exception thrown in server reflected my local PC's file directory RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small testing application built in Framework 3.5. Every time there is a change, I simply copy the .dll and .pdb files from local PC to dev & testing servers. But if any exception occurs, in trace it shows the error occurs in XXX.cs file with the directory of my PC instead of the server directory. But for other applications in Framework 2.0, the error reflects the server directory. Is there any change for 3.5?

I can do a build for my application to overcome this issue. But I am just wondering if I simply copy the .dll and .pdf to server, the 3.5 application shows my local PC's file directory, while 2.0 application shows the server's directory.

Thank you.

jennyc
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Jennyc,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I have created and tested an application. In my side, both targeting .NET Framework 3.5 application and targeting .NET Framework 2.0 application threw the exception where the path is the building path.

I don’t know the specific error of .NET Framework 2.0 application on your side. You can change the targeting framework of .NET Framework 3.5 to .NET Framework 2.0, then test it on your server. I believe if the same error occurs, its path should be your building path.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:17 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 9:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Jennyc,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I have created and tested an application. In my side, both targeting .NET Framework 3.5 application and targeting .NET Framework 2.0 application threw the exception where the path is the building path.

I don’t know the specific error of .NET Framework 2.0 application on your side. You can change the targeting framework of .NET Framework 3.5 to .NET Framework 2.0, then test it on your server. I believe if the same error occurs, its path should be your building path.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:17 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Hi Alexander,

Maybe I didn't explain my question very clearly. My application is quite small, so if there is any change I always move the compiled .dll and .pdb file directly into dev / test server without making any build. But when exception occurs, the trace always reflects the directory of local PC of whoever delopys it., not the directory in Server. But before in the trace it do reflect the directory of server. I can't rememebr since when we had this issue, and I have no idea what triggered this change. Application uses .NET 2 and VS 2005.

jennyc
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

I cannot reproduce your problem. Could you please attach a sample project demonstrating this problem?

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:43 AM