none
Identify user in Office Online using WOPI host provided info RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, dear community,

I wonder if it's possible to implement the subject using WOPI. Here is the case:I need to see user's name who edited shared doc and names of the users who posted comments(right there inside the document when opening 'comments' pane). As an WOPI host I can provide this info and bind it to the access token(it's obviously bound on my side anyway). However I don't understand the right flow to make the whole thing work together or even endpoints I need to implement. The fact I can authenticate a user doesn't solve the problem since user's info isn't there if office online.

Whoever knows the answer or a workaround many thanks in advance!

Monday, June 18, 2018 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi YuriyWopi

Thank you for your question.  An engineer from the protocols team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Monday, June 18, 2018 3:33 PM
  • Hi YuriyWopi, 

The user information displayed by Office Online is gathered by the following documented interfaces: 

http://wopi.readthedocs.io/projects/wopirest/en/latest/files/CheckFileInfo.html#user-metadata-properties

http://wopi.readthedocs.io/projects/wopirest/en/latest/files/PutUserInfo.html#putuserinfo

Your WOPI host should be implementing these endpoints and supply the user information this way. 

Let me know if I've understood your question and if this helps. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo 
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications Support

Monday, June 18, 2018 4:20 PM
  • Hi Tom,

thanks for the links, I've checked them, but it's not yet clear to me if multiple UserInfos(an array)( I need particularly  FriendlyName maybe) can be associated with one file while viewing and editing it simultaneously by many users. Will Office Online display information about all of them, like "Bill's cursor is on the line 3 now", "Helen left a comment next to 5th paragraph". If the answer for the this is yes, another question comes to my mind - since UserInfo is also used in PutInfo does it mean that information about a user will be displayed only if: user can edit the document and did at least one edit operation(otherwise there was no sense to call PutFile by WOPI client until then), so read-only and non-editing users will not have identity to be displayed.

Thanks

Monday, June 18, 2018 4:52 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. 

You are right, Office Online Server will display each user that is editing, where they are editing and the user information is only displayed when both you (current user) and the remote users are editing, not viewing.

Tom

Monday, June 25, 2018 4:30 PM
  • And to answer the first question, the user information in PutUserInfo and CheckFileInfo's UserInfo variable, are singular user information. They pertain to the user session that would be identified typically by the access token. The WOPI host only need deal with one user at a time when communicating with Office Online server about a particular file. Office Online Server will manage the multiple user edit notifications and rendering in the web app.
    Monday, June 25, 2018 4:36 PM