none
VS2013 ftp files to hosted server

Question

• I have a site working locally on a development server. My public working site will be hosted on a remote server. How does VS2013 deploy one file or an entire site? I am accustomed to working in Dreamweaver, where this simple task is very intuitive and very simple. After putting your ftp credentials into the site properties you simply connect and put a single file or many files. You can easily switch between local/remote views. I often work by editing a file locally, push, and refresh my browser to view the new live file in real time. Edits and multiple iterations are quite fast this way. It could not be any simpler or easy.

I can't seem to find the equivalent process or configuration within VS2013. Looking at Solution Explorer of my local files, I expected to be able to select a file such as index.html and right click to expose the PUT and GET commands for that single file.

How do I need to alter my workflows to do this simple task in VS? More importantly, where are such instructions hidden? I looked and well, they hid this information REALLY good. Searching for standard terms ftp, put, and get I am not finding basic tutorials or walkthroughs. I fail to see how such a basic task is not clearly explained for someone getting up to speed in VS.

Using a tool like FileZilla it is EASY to do. But, I expect VS to be just as intuitive and easy. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for assisting with the VS learning curve.

Kurt

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 8:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Kurt,

According to your description, you want to deploy your website to FTP server through Visual Studio 2013, is it right?

Please build your web site in Visual Studio 2013 to confirm it can build successful. Then please right-click your website project to choose "Publish" option. It will pop up a Publish Web wizard window.

In the Profile tab, please click the "Custom" option to add a custom profile for your website.

Then it will navigate to Connection tab. In this tab, please select "FTP" for the publish method and then input the FTP server information and validate whether you can connect to the FTP server. Then based on the publish wizard, you can publish your site to the FTP server.

If there has any problem when deploying your site to FTP server, please post your problem to Web Deployment forum for a better help.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Swain IT Wednesday, June 15, 2016 1:35 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Kurt,

According to your description, you want to deploy your website to FTP server through Visual Studio 2013, is it right?

Please build your web site in Visual Studio 2013 to confirm it can build successful. Then please right-click your website project to choose "Publish" option. It will pop up a Publish Web wizard window.

In the Profile tab, please click the "Custom" option to add a custom profile for your website.

Then it will navigate to Connection tab. In this tab, please select "FTP" for the publish method and then input the FTP server information and validate whether you can connect to the FTP server. Then based on the publish wizard, you can publish your site to the FTP server.

If there has any problem when deploying your site to FTP server, please post your problem to Web Deployment forum for a better help.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Swain IT Wednesday, June 15, 2016 1:35 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:15 AM
  • Weiwei,

Thanks for this information and especially the images. After performing these instructions I can now right click on a single file and perform an ftp PUT (aka Publish) from within the solution explorer. The problem is that MS chose to rename FTP as Publish. So, PUT and GET have proprietary names instead of common language that has been used for decades. I guess sometimes the wheel does get reinvented for no apparent reason and no value added.

So, what is the best way for folks to relearn such fundamental tasks of using VS? In this case searching for PUT and GET in the help files was not helpful. What is the best reference guide for the VS2013 environment?

Can solution explorer show both local and remote file systems? In my case these are static pages and there is no "build".

I'm curious if MS gave proprietary names to other common processes as they did with Publish. Is there a list of other proprietary terms with the translation to common usage terms for folks not familiar with the language used by MS? It is frustrating for folks not fluent in such proprietary terms.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 1:35 PM
  • Hi Swain,

>> what is the best way for folks to relearn such fundamental tasks of using VS?

>> Is there a list of other proprietary terms with the translation to common usage terms for folks not familiar with the language used by MS?

Please refer to following MSDN document about Visual Studio 2013, which introduce the usage guidance for Visual Studio 2013. You can open this document from Help menu -> View Help option in Visual Studio.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd831853(v=vs.120).aspx

>> Can solution explorer show both local and remote file systems?

The Solution Explorer used to manage solution or project items. And every Visual Studio instance just can open one solution which contains all files in the same path. So I'm afraid it could not be used to open File System in both local and remote.

In addition, we often ask one question in one thread on our forum. If any other problem about Visual Studio IDE, please feel free to create new thread on our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, June 16, 2016 1:50 AM
  • From the online manual of your link, I tried to search for "ftp". It failed to limit the search to within VS documents. It was useless in terms of searching. Too bad there is no pdf versions of the VS2013 user manual that is searchable. I'm downloading the files locally and hope it is searchable.

Dreamweaver can only show local or remote at one time. I did not find a remote view within VS.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:54 PM