not able to connect with Azure SQL Database in the sql server migration assistant for oracle RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am not able to connect with Azure SQL Database in the sql server migration assistant for oracle tool. But if i use same login credentials , i am able to access the azure sql db in SSMS. 

Do my account need special permissions to access the azure sql db in SSMA for oracle tool ?

Whats the issue ?

Thanks -NK

Thursday, April 9, 2020 2:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Nk,

According to Connecting to SQL Server (OracleToSQL), it is important that the account is a member of the sysadmin server role.

I am not familiar with Azure SQL database, you can open a thread in Azure SQL database forums for more suggestions.

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 9, 2020 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi NK,

what the detailed connection error message? Make the account is a member of the sysadmin server role.

check Migrating Oracle Databases to SQL Server (OracleToSQL)

Best Regards,

Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 9, 2020 6:16 AM
  • Hi Cris,

It says "Connection to Azure SQL database failed. The specified username and password is not valid".

I have been given reader and SQL Db contributor access to the Azure resource group which has all the Azure SQL Databases and related Azure SQL server.

Does SQL DB contributor is not the appropriate permissions to access the Azure SQL Database through SSMA for oracle ? 

Thanks -NK

Thursday, April 9, 2020 6:59 AM
  • Hi Nk,

According to Connecting to SQL Server (OracleToSQL), it is important that the account is a member of the sysadmin server role.

I am not familiar with Azure SQL database, you can open a thread in Azure SQL database forums for more suggestions.

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, April 9, 2020 7:21 AM
  • Hi Cris,

You are right! Account should be a member of the sysadmin server role and recently i found that in Azure SQL Database there is no sysadmin role instead it has dbmanager role. Once i requested and received the access, I was able to connect with the Azure SQL Database server in SSMA for Oracle.

Thanks -NK

Thursday, April 16, 2020 3:06 AM