Windows Mobile 6.x RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am working on an application which is running on WM 2003 SE and CF 2.0. It's using different kind of connection, synchronizing with backoffice...

I am wondering what are the advantages and new features that can help me if I decide to go for WM 6.1 or 6.5 and CF 3.5 ?

--> I do not want to re-architect all my app !

When you look more precisely to details, I can see that CF 3.5 brings new features but runtime is the same than 2.0 --> therefore performances are equivalent. And using new features means re-architecture my app...

Concerning the OS, I cannot figure out how WM6 have new technical capabilities (new communication layer ? how that's help ?)... Big step is made with CE 6.0 (mainly thanks to memory architecture) but this is not WM6 core...

Do you have experience of migration to that version ? Would it be better to go for CE 6.0 or waiting for WM 7 ?

Thks a lot

A.L
    adrian
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi A.L,

Actually WM 6.5 images are not yet released and that is open for only MVPs. So you can port you application to WM 6.1 ( download WM 6.1 images and WM 6.0 SDK).

If you have the code on CF 2.0, that is easy to port in VS 2005 or VS 2008

Project --> Change Target Platform --> Select the SDK

http://blogs.msdn.com/netcfteam/archive/2007/01/28/net-compact-framework-3-5-included-in-orcas-january-ctp.aspx

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31984775/development-choice-net-c.aspx

Please let me know if you have any queries regarding this.

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Hi Malleswar,

Thanks a lot for you answer.

Actually, I am still thinking of what target I am gonna choose. Therefore, no matter if 6.5 isn't yet available. I would like to know if it's really interesting to go to that version. For example, I don't mind to have hexagonal icons on desktop... for my existing app : all improvements from 6.1 and 6.5 seem to be for smartphone constructors and for general public. Is there technical improvements ?

What about moving from WM2003 to CE 6.0 ?? Better ?

Regards,
    A.L
    adrian
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Hi aloire,

Of course technical has improved a lot. Firstly let me take a look at WM5.0 new technichal from WM2003.

Windows Mobile 5.0 introduces a new generation of platform application programming interfaces (APIs) that expose rich multimedia support, rich two-dimensional and three-dimensional drawing capabilities, easy interaction with device hardware such as cameras or global positioning system (GPS) devices, straightforward interaction and integration with Pocket Outlook, and improved communications capabilities. These new APIs provide not only greater application capabilities, but they also improve developer productivity by encapsulating the details of these features in the platform, which allows developers to focus on the specific needs of their applications.
    For more information:
    What's New for Developers in Windows Mobile 5.0

WM6.0 also has improved a lot from WM5.0:
    What's New for Developers in Windows Mobile 6
    WM6.1 new feature 

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Friday, May 8, 2009 3:50 AM
  • I will be short... I agree with Guang-Ming and I would also add that it really is up to you in the end.  Meaning that there are clear advantages to moving to windows mobile professional 6.1 or 6.5 SDK, but it depends on the specifics of your application and your goals.  I would suggest that you read the documentation with the latest SDK, review your app goals and then make a decision fromt there.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:29 PM