Is Certifications are important to our career??.. I belive Certifications are Good. What is your opinion??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi friends,

I will appear for microsoft exams  70-536 ,  70-562 , 70-433 soon. What is your suggestions??. 

I have visited http://www.certifications4you.com . It is cool. Helped me to know about the certification exams and its main contents.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, definitely useful, but not necessarily an indication of skill by themselves.

I have MCSD (From way back, VB6), MCTS, MCPD - by themselves they ensure that you know certain aspects of the topics that you study, which is a foot in the door of experience in my opinion.  It also proves that you have knowledge and have attained it at a particular level.

When I interview people, if someone has a certification, I will assume that they have the knowledge represented by the certification, and ask questions that layer that certification with the experience to obtain the desired outcomes.  By and of itself, a certification proves only that you have the ability to remember a large amount of information, in I.T. it is often the application of the knowledge that makes someone truly exceptional at their job.

To give you a different perspective, I encourage my team to get certifications, it open doors, and it gives developers a common understanding, and a common language with which to communicate, since explanation of the basics is no longer necessary.

What are you thinking of studying?

Thanks,

Martin.
    MCSD, MCTS, MCPD. Please mark my post as helpful if you find the information good!
    • Marked as answer by Jobin John Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:56 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:40 AM

All replies

• I think so.  I've only passed 70-536 but in the process of studying for it I have learned tons of tools available to me through the .NET framework which I haven't come across (partially due to my own ignorance) in the past 6 years of developing with it.  IMHO it's not about memorizing material (which is what these exams often promote), rather it's about knowing what tools are out there and where they should be applied.  All too often I see "cavemen" code out there when clean tools/abstractions have been created to solve these particular issues.  This is the wrong field to choose if one is not interested in learning.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, definitely useful, but not necessarily an indication of skill by themselves.

I have MCSD (From way back, VB6), MCTS, MCPD - by themselves they ensure that you know certain aspects of the topics that you study, which is a foot in the door of experience in my opinion.  It also proves that you have knowledge and have attained it at a particular level.

When I interview people, if someone has a certification, I will assume that they have the knowledge represented by the certification, and ask questions that layer that certification with the experience to obtain the desired outcomes.  By and of itself, a certification proves only that you have the ability to remember a large amount of information, in I.T. it is often the application of the knowledge that makes someone truly exceptional at their job.

To give you a different perspective, I encourage my team to get certifications, it open doors, and it gives developers a common understanding, and a common language with which to communicate, since explanation of the basics is no longer necessary.

What are you thinking of studying?

Thanks,

Martin.
    MCSD, MCTS, MCPD. Please mark my post as helpful if you find the information good!
    • Marked as answer by Jobin John Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:56 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:40 AM
  • Yes Jobin, certifications are good.

It will be a value add to your profile and to your career. Do make the right choice of Exams having a futuristic view on your career path.

Stay Cool

Vishal Mohan
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:24 PM