Simply download an excel XLSM file from a web app RRS feed

• Question

• User1023690892 posted

Ok, this should be a simple question, I have an Excel (Macro enabled file) .xlsm that I have in a folder in my asp.net 3.5 application. I have a link to the Excel file, I'd like the users to click the link and have it prompt them to save it. However, they are currently getting:

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /Reports/rptAdHoc.xlsm

Monday, November 26, 2018 9:33 PM

All replies

• User1023690892 posted

So... it had nothing to do with the link, it had to do with the folder it is in. I moved the file to the root of the application, updated the hyperlink and it worked perfectly.

Now... why didn't it work in a subfolder?

Monday, November 26, 2018 10:41 PM
  • User-893317190 posted

Hi BFasano,

I have made a test in my project, but it could download the excel even it is in a subfolder.

Do you have some special settings on the folder?

For example, you have a web.config in the subfolder and configure the authentication for the folder .

You could create a new project and create a folder , put a xlsm in the folder to see whether you could download it.

Best regards,

Ackerly Xu

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 7:16 AM