none
Strange error after fall creators update in VS 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• I get this error when I do rebuild all. Pressing F5 does't compile the changes I made

What is happened

Warning        Processing COM reference "NETCONLib" from path "C:\WINDOWS\system32\hnetcfg.dll". At least one of the arguments for 'INetConnection.GetProperties' cannot be marshaled by the runtime marshaler.  Such arguments will therefore be passed as a pointer and may require unsafe code to manipulate.  C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets

As i double click the warning i get:

<ResolveComReference
              TypeLibNames="@(COMReference)"
              TypeLibFiles="@(COMFileReference)"
              ResolvedAssemblyReferences="@(ReferencePath)"
              WrapperOutputDirectory="$(InteropOutputPath)"
              IncludeVersionInInteropName="$(IncludeVersionInInteropName)"
              KeyContainer="$(KeyContainerName)"
              KeyFile="$(KeyOriginatorFile)"
              DelaySign="$(DelaySign)"
              StateFile="@(_ResolveComReferenceCache)"
              TargetFrameworkVersion="$(TargetFrameworkVersion)"
              TargetProcessorArchitecture="$(ProcessorArchitecture)"
              NoClassMembers="$(ComReferenceNoClassMembers)"
              Silent="$(ResolveComReferenceSilent)"

Greetings from Amsterdam the Netherlands

Sunday, December 3, 2017 4:35 PM

Answers

• Here's info on netconlib. Looks like it is part of Windows and therefore an update could cause that. 

That isn't going to cause the issue you're seeing though where your changes aren't being compiled. A compiler warning won't stop the build. So I think it is important to separate these issues out. Since the warning is just a warning and not much you can do about it, ignore it for now. When you make a change to your code are the changes seen? In your OP you said they weren't. That is the fundamental problem here.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

• Marked as answer by Rinaldo1961 Friday, December 8, 2017 2:11 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 2:44 PM

All replies

• Perhaps you can share the relevant code?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Sunday, December 3, 2017 6:19 PM
  • Perhaps you can share the relevant code?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

It is license protected software and too big to share. I've tried to repair the installation but it doesn't help. Pressing F5 runs the changes but don't save the file.

It is, what i think, something in the settings.

Sunday, December 3, 2017 7:12 PM
  • Hello Rinaldo961,

>>Pressing F5 runs the changes but don't save the file.

Normally the warning will not affect the compiler building. Did you try to set the some options as below.

Best regards,

Neil Hu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 2:26 AM
  • As Fei Hu mentioned, a compiler warning will not stop the compilation. You can delete the bin folder and confirm the code gets rebuilt. The error in question is because of a COM object you're referencing.  It looks like the marshaler is unable to understand the typelib and therefore is letting you know that it is going to make a judgement call that may or may not work. This is just an informational warning though.

How do you know that your changes aren't being seen? Are you running the code again and not seeing the behavior you expected? Do you build and run by using F5 or do you first do a build? If you simply press F5, did at any point you tell VS not to warning you about build errors and simply run the binary anyway? If so then do a build first instead and ensure there are no other build errors occurring.

Monday, December 4, 2017 3:07 PM
  • Hello Michael and Fei,

I went to the configuration and compare it with a project which doesn't show this warning. I try to delete the bin folder and see what is happened. Now i must do rebuild all to compile the changes I've made. I don't know where the COM object is from, it is not COM visible and i don't use unsafe code. This project compiles without any warning from years but suddenly i get this warning.

Greetings,

Rinaldo

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Here's info on netconlib. Looks like it is part of Windows and therefore an update could cause that. 

That isn't going to cause the issue you're seeing though where your changes aren't being compiled. A compiler warning won't stop the build. So I think it is important to separate these issues out. Since the warning is just a warning and not much you can do about it, ignore it for now. When you make a change to your code are the changes seen? In your OP you said they weren't. That is the fundamental problem here.

• Marked as answer by Rinaldo1961 Friday, December 8, 2017 2:11 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 2:44 PM