How To use Push Notification Services For Windows store App without submitting the App to store.

Question

• Hi I have created a Windows Store App in C# and reserved its name in App Store.

To avail Push Notifications, I associated My app with the store.

When Adding push notification service, trough visual studio it gives me Error

"No Push Notification Connected Service components were found for the current project".

I do have SID and client secret of my app.

DO I need to subscribe for some services?? Are those services chargeable?

What all do i need to do to avail services for push notification, without actually distributing the app

through store Thanks

Nikhil Sharma10

Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/8d1a79d5-eceb-42e2-945d-74ba4d690573/push-notifications-for-line-of-business-winrt-apps-that-wont-be-distributed-through-the-store?forum=winappswithcsharp

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Hi, 

thanks Matt for the information. Is there an alternative that I do not have to subscribe for the services for push notification ?

Thanks

Nikhil Sharma10

Friday, July 18, 2014 6:13 AM
  • The app needs to be registered with the store so WNS knows how to address notifications back to the app, but the app does not need to be published in the store.

Since the thread Matt quoted Windows 8.1 Update has shipped and to support push notifications for enterprises the app's registration will not expire if the app is not published. The name is freed up for others to use, but the push notification address will still be valid.

You don't need to add your push notification through visual studio. This wizard sets up an Azure Mobile Service to use an Azure Notification Hub (see Code generated by push notification wizard), and so it does require the Azure service. This is an easy way to manage push notifications, but it is not required. You can push notifications from your own server to WNS without an Azure subscription. See Windows Push Notification Services (WNS) overview 

--Rob

Friday, July 18, 2014 7:28 AM
    Owner