Powerview with powerPivot as data source RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it posible to use a powerPivot as datasource of powerview or sharepoint is required for that?

regards,

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Using Excel 2013 you can create Power View reports - SharePoint is not required.  In SharePoint 2013 you can also create Power View reports.  Power View reports created in Excel 2013 can only be modified in Excel, and Power View reports created in SharePoint can only be modified in SharePoint.  Prior to Excel 2013 you could only create Power View reports in SharePoint.
    Friday, March 22, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for the answer. My question was if I can use power pivot as data source in a powerview in excel file.

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Yes, you can (and I think must) use PowerPivot as a data source for Power View in Excel 2013.
    Monday, March 25, 2013 11:04 PM
  • first understand powerview takes only the Cube as source ..so now powerview sources can be  powerpivot 2010, powerpivot 2013 , tabular model and multidimentional model (recent release) can be saurse to powerview .Note :powerpivot inside architecture create Cube internally.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:21 AM
  • Well

I tried to put the powerpivot as datasource with powerview, but no idea. It asks me to select a range of data from excel.

I´ve seen that in excel for sharepoint you can use powerview and use powerpivot as source, but I´m asking how I do that "locally".

Thank you very much for your help!

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:13 AM
  • Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:28 PM
  • For this u need to have Excel 2013 . in excel 2013 once u create the powerpivot report .

-got to Insert tab

-select Powerview and the u can create powerview report there .

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/excel-help/whats-new-in-power-view-in-excel-2013-and-in-sharepoint-server-HA102901475.aspx

Monday, August 26, 2013 12:34 PM
  • I´ve seen that in excel for sharepoint you can use powerview and use powerpivot as source, but I´m asking how I do that "locally".

Hello,

Since Cumulative update package 4 for SQL Server 2012 SP1 PowerView can use PowerPivot in Sharepoint as data source; see Understanding Power View for Multidimensional Models: "... The back-end data source can be a PowerPivot workbook in SharePoint, a Tabular model on an Analysis Services server running in Tabular mode, or a Multidimensional model on an Analysis Services server running in Multidimensional mode. ..."

But (currently) without Sharepoint you can't use PowerPivot as a data source

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, August 26, 2013 1:01 PM