none
How do I remove/uninstall MSSQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 completely?

Question

• Previously I have MSSQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 installed on one of our server machines. This installation was upgraded to MSSQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 (i.e. service pack 3) by applying KB2979597. The upgrade was successful but now I need to downgrade to SP1.

I tried to uninstall KB2979597 at Programs and Features (Control Panel) - Installed Updates but was prompted to insert CDs for "SQL Server 2008 R2 BI Development Studio", "SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Management Studio", etc. I don't have these CDs. 

I have full backups (incl. bare metal backups) of the server machine before the upgrade from SP1 to SP3. Can I do a restore to this server machine? Which folders/files should I restore? Or is there a better way to uninstall KB2979597?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, February 27, 2017 2:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

If you do have the ISO of SQL server 2008 R2, it should work as well. Otherwise, if you plan to use the server image, you will need to make sure you backup all your existing user and system db and restore them after you apply the old server image (from SP1). A easier way is to stop SQL service, copy all the mdf/ldf out and replace it after the server image got applied (given the DB is not huge).

However, uninstall the SP should be the easiest. Found a site that might can help you (https://mssqltrek.com/2011/08/24/uninstalling-sql-server-20082008r2-service-packs/)

Monday, February 27, 2017 3:47 AM
  • Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your reply. In fact, I did follow the steps outlined in the website https://mssqltrek.com/2011/08/24/uninstalling-sql-server-20082008r2-service-packs/ you quoted, but I was prompted to insert the CDs mentioned in my 1st post. I don't have these CDs. So I am asking if there is another way to revert back to service pack 1? Or am I missing out something?  

Monday, February 27, 2017 4:03 AM
  •  I was prompted to insert the CDs mentioned in my 1st post. I don't have these CDs. So I am asking if there is another way to revert back to service pack 1? Or am I missing out something?  

Do you have any SQL Server 2008 r2 installation, if not can you copy from somewhere I guess uninstallation needs to verify something before it can proceed

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, February 27, 2017 4:10 AM
  • Hi Shashank,

Ours is a licensed installation. When I tried to uninstall KB2979597, why does it promt me to insert "SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 BI Development Studio", etc disks? I mean why SP2 - I had never applied SP2 before. OR should I try to insert "SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 BI Development Studio" disk? Guess I will try to look for our SP1 disks and insert them.

Thank you. 

Monday, February 27, 2017 5:35 AM
  • Hi Micheal,

It seems that some SQL Server components are corrupted in your current instance, please repair SQL Server 2008 R2 firstly and then check if you can successfully uninstall SP3 from control panel.

However, if you still get issues when uninstalling SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3, use the methods in this similar blog to completely uninstall it.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:01 AM
  • Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your reply. I have carefully read the 2 links you provided (i.e. repair SQL Server 2008 R2 & uninstalling SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3). Then I tried to remove SP3 (i.e. KB2979597) again but this time I used the uninstall string from the system registry. Again it prompted for the following disks:

SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 BI Development Studio disk
    SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Management Studio disk
    SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Client Tools' disk
    SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Analysis Services' disk

In all, there are 4 disks which the uninstall process prompted for. I attach one of the screenshots for your viewing please. Notice that it asks for SP2 disks but heading of the dialog box actually refer to SP1. Please look at the screenshot that I have inserted. 

If the above 4 disks are required - can I download these online? The license is with me.

Thank you.

Friday, March 3, 2017 3:48 AM
  • Sorry, I can't upload my screenshot. The website doesn't allow. 
    Friday, March 3, 2017 3:53 AM
  • Hi Micheal,

You can download SQL Server 2008 R2 from below links if you have a MSDN Subscription or TechNet Subscription and SP2 is available in this link.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx

There is also a similar thread fro your reference.
    https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/27550806/Uninstall-of-SQL-Server-2008-SP3-failed-partially.html

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 6, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Thank you Lydia. That link you provided "https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/27550806/Uninstall-of-SQL-Server-2008-SP3-failed-partially.html" describes a situation very similar to mine. I will need to check whether my Company has an active msdn subscription, else I need to go back to that cabinet to try look for the physical media.

Not sure how long this will take - in the meantime what do I do with this thread that I created?

• Marked as answer by Micheal Ting Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:36 AM
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:34 AM
  • Hi Micheal,

If my replies solved your issue, please also mark these replies as answer, that way, other community members could benefit from the solutions when they get same issues.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:50 AM