none
Compile ASP.NET MVC4 Code in VS 2015 and deploy on Linux

Question

• I have code developed in VS2010 using ASP.NET MVC4 Razor View Engine.

Having compiled the code in VS2015, Can I deploy the code in Linux? As I understood VS2015 supports deploying ASP.NET code other than IIS.

Regards, Veera Sangolli

-VS

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you should be aware that the link provided is talking about asp.net core. The new .Net Core / Asp.Net Core are multi platform. The old ASP.Net with the .Net framework is not!

The link describes everything using ngix. But it should work with other web servers, too (if they have te required interfaces so small limited servers might not work). From my understanding, Application Server are the Java Application Server like JBoss, Tomcat and so on. I don't think that these java based tools can integrate an ASP.Net Core application. (Of course that might be possible for the developers but I think they have other targets!) But of course: I might be wrong. Just ask inside the forums of the application server that you are using.

Regarding the old ASP.Net MVC 4 website: You could check out mono. Mono is an open source implementation of the .Net Framework where the community developed some parts. As far as I know, ASP.Net is also part of it so it might be worth checking it out. But that is not a simple deploy from Visual Studio. If you want to try this, then check the mono documentation and ask the mono community for help because we cannot support Mono in here.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Veera Sngolli,

>>Can I compile the code in 2015 and deploy the same on Linux?

Yes, VS2015 support to compile the ASP.NET MVC 4 project. Tooling support for MVC 4 projects in Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 RC is available

And if you want to deploy your ASP.NET MVC project on Linux. You could take a look at the following document:

https://docs.asp.net/en/latest/publishing/linuxproduction.html

And if you have any problems about publishing your ASP.NET application on the Linux. I suggest you'd better post your problems to our ASP.NET forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 3:15 AM
  • Thank you Lake Xiao for the answer. Will try this. Does it work on any web/application server on Linux.

-VS

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:12 AM
  • Hi,

you should be aware that the link provided is talking about asp.net core. The new .Net Core / Asp.Net Core are multi platform. The old ASP.Net with the .Net framework is not!

The link describes everything using ngix. But it should work with other web servers, too (if they have te required interfaces so small limited servers might not work). From my understanding, Application Server are the Java Application Server like JBoss, Tomcat and so on. I don't think that these java based tools can integrate an ASP.Net Core application. (Of course that might be possible for the developers but I think they have other targets!) But of course: I might be wrong. Just ask inside the forums of the application server that you are using.

Regarding the old ASP.Net MVC 4 website: You could check out mono. Mono is an open source implementation of the .Net Framework where the community developed some parts. As far as I know, ASP.Net is also part of it so it might be worth checking it out. But that is not a simple deploy from Visual Studio. If you want to try this, then check the mono documentation and ask the mono community for help because we cannot support Mono in here.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:28 AM