none
Microsoft Speech Platform Generated WAV licencing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'd like to know the license attached to the sound (wav) files generated by the Microsoft Speech Platform TTS API. I know that the license of the platform itself can be used for commercial software, but what about the wav files it can generate? Can them be used in a context where there's no SAPI involved?

My personal take on the issue is that the Platform can be used for any purpose to create an application, so I can create an application myself to generate the wav files. Then, since it's my application that generated the wav files (an application that I do have the right to create using the library), then I should be able to use those wav files for any purpose.

However, I am no expert so I'd like to know for sure whether I can use those files for commercial purposes or not.
    Friday, May 9, 2014 2:45 PM

Answers

• There's gotspeech.net but it is not every active. Microsoft's speech-related resources is more focused on Kinect, but that is probably not what you want.

I read the license file and don't see anything about redistributing audio, the only thing permitted for redistribution is object code. You probably want to contact Microsoft's legal department if you want to get a license to the voice. 

Visual C++ MVP

Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:55 PM

All replies

• This forum is for CLR. Microsoft Speech questions are off-topic here.

Microsoft Speech is just a platform, it does not grant you any license to use the actual voices. You have to license voices separately (e.g. from Windows, Office or third-party) for any purpose.

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, May 9, 2014 9:05 PM
  • Would you be so kind to point me to the correct forum for the speech API? I couldn't find it in the list of categories, and found some question about it in this section.

On the other hand, our preliminary tests used voices from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27224 The supplemental license file in there says we can use the voice as long as we have a license for the Speech Engine.

Thanks!

Saturday, May 10, 2014 7:50 PM
  • There's gotspeech.net but it is not every active. Microsoft's speech-related resources is more focused on Kinect, but that is probably not what you want.

I read the license file and don't see anything about redistributing audio, the only thing permitted for redistribution is object code. You probably want to contact Microsoft's legal department if you want to get a license to the voice. 

Visual C++ MVP

Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:55 PM
  • Please let me know what answers you find.  I think finding this answer (for me noncommercial network distribution) is difficult to find an answer...2 posts were said to be off topic from my Google search.
    Friday, February 26, 2016 4:01 AM