none
ExpressionWebForum.com RRS feed

All replies

• I'm glad you asked. ;-) It's only in its infancy right now, but it looks like Cheryl has whipped together a much more usable EW forum. I've been on it a couple of days now, and never seen any of the (for lack of a family-friendly term) quirky behavior that we have all come to expect from this one. I'm looking forward to it growing, and I expect that most of the regulars here will eventually spend at least as much time and effort there. And while I'm at it, let me just give a big thank you once again to cheryl for all her efforts!

Jim

Friday, September 17, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Jim is correct.

I got fed up with being logged out in the middle of posts (as happened the first time I tried to reply in this thread), having my profile come up when I tried refreshing the page, and other "glitches" with this forum. So I went looking for an alternative. Not finding any real alternative I spoke with Chris (veign) and others about providing an alternative. I tried out a couple of forum applications including SimpleMachines recommended by Chris and the result is http://expressionwebforum.com

There we've created a whole forum dedicated to Expression Web broken into sub forums to make it easier to find posts you are interested in (and search works). We've also included a few topics that would be more or less off-topic here like using other appliucations with Expression Web (Dreamweaver, CoffeeCup, TopStyle, stuff like that) and a place for off-topic, social conversations (introductions, continuing threads that wander off-topic) so there really is something "social" beyond a url string.

Many of the more prolific regulars here have already paid a visit and we've getting a few newbies as well. The forum is very young and we hope it will grow without some of the issues that have appeared here. The interface is simpler without the updating list of recent visitors, top posters, etc. in the side bar here. there are Statistics available for anyone who cares but they are at the bottom of the page in a panel that can easily be closed since I find movement on the side of the page distracting when I'm reading. Since its my forum I can indulge my prejucides <g> at least to some extent. Though there are other MVPs and folks involved in the site so it isn't my kingdom.

I don't intend to abandon this forum and doubt that any of the others you would recognize visiting there do either but check it out and let us know what you think. 

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Friday, September 17, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Hmm, I do have one little issue with the forum functionality. Having to enter a CAPTCHA string to post each reply seems a bit excessive, given that the Reply link doesn't even present unless one is registered and signed in. CAPTCHA is meant to foil robots, not humans (although you wouldn't know it from some of the indecipherable ones I've seen). Have they come up with robots that can register for the forum, then sign in, then click the Reply link on individual posts, and then do their mischief? Seems that that would take a human, or a very smart primate, and CAPTCHA doesn't (or shouldn't) block humans.  Just sayin'...

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Scott, it only does that for the first few posts to make sure people aren't registering to spam. Also, Cheryl is changing the status of the regulars that she recognizes, so I'm sure it won't be an issue for you for long.

Jim

Friday, September 17, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Ah, OK. So, I guess that means I won't have to work my way up from "newbie" again, eh? <bg>

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 7:34 PM
  • I paid a visit a few days ago just to look around--haven't posted yet, though.

Good job, Cheryl! The forum looks nice and functions very well. It will be a great resource I am sure.

--P

Columbia, CA. USA The Gilded Moon-Sierra Nevada Photography
    "If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."
    Friday, September 17, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Scott,

You only have to do that the first time you post. Cuts down on the fly by spam. You shouldn't experience it on your next post.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Friday, September 17, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Correct Scott, you are now a "full member" as is Jim, Mike, Ian, TB and others that use the same handle in both forums so I can recognize them.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 7:47 PM