Pricing Clarification on File Size RRS feed

• Question

• I just ran through this Walkthrough

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh973620

(Not sure who created it, but a big "Thank You" to them)

I uploaded and encoded a single file. I noticed in the Portal that the size increased from about 1 MB to upwards of 5 MB!!!

Is that because of the choice of Encoding?

Ex:

// Create a task with the encoding details, using a string preset.
        ITask task = job.Tasks.AddNew("My encoding task",
            processor,
            "H264 Broadband 720p",
            Microsoft.WindowsAzure.MediaServices.Client.TaskOptions.ProtectedConfiguration);

What also doesn't make sense is the size (aspect ratio) and quality of the Video remained the same.

So where did this extra 5 MB come from? An extra 5 MB per file would get pretty expensive...

Thank you,

Robert 

• Edited by Rob Vig Monday, December 3, 2012 5:19 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 5:15 PM

Answers

• From the encoding side the higher the bitrate encoding profile you choose the more 1) you pay for encoding since encoding is input file size + output file size, 2) you pay for storage since the file size would be larger, and 3) you pay for egress since you are transferring data to clients.

You could save money by encoding everything as the smallest bitrate.  But of course you greatly sacrafice quality when you do so.  In short, the higher quality you make a video by increasing the output bitrate the more it costs.

Of course with your video you mentioned that the file size increased when you encoded it.  If you increase the bitrate well above the originally encoded bitrate you're not going to gain any quality.

Monday, December 3, 2012 9:02 PM

All replies

• The only thing that matters the amound of bytes that are taken up in storage is the bitrate of the content.  More than likely you had a file that was a relatively low bitrate and converted it to a format that had a higher bitrate.  For example, if I had a file that had a 720p screen size, 30 frames per second, and was 500 kbps and I converted it to a file that was 720p screen size, 30 frames per second, and was 1500 kbps I would see a much larger result file.

Monday, December 3, 2012 7:10 PM
  • How would this (my choice of Encoding) impact my Azure Bill?

Reference Milan Gadas' post:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/MediaServices/thread/12c8d0f4-a564-4d69-a9d6-e444993fbd6a

- - - -

It would be nice if there was an online Media Services Calculator that you could plug in your Encoding choice, file size, bit rate, and what ever else, and get the itemized cost as well as the total cost.

Ex of Media Services Calculator Total Cost: http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/?scenario=full

Right now there's now way to compare different settings.

Let's say I decide to use the X Encoder and Y bitrate in my app and thousands of videos get encoded... Then I find out it's insanely expensive... I'm screwed / stuck...

I'm a little leery now...

• Edited by Rob Vig Monday, December 3, 2012 9:06 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 8:54 PM
  • From the encoding side the higher the bitrate encoding profile you choose the more 1) you pay for encoding since encoding is input file size + output file size, 2) you pay for storage since the file size would be larger, and 3) you pay for egress since you are transferring data to clients.

You could save money by encoding everything as the smallest bitrate.  But of course you greatly sacrafice quality when you do so.  In short, the higher quality you make a video by increasing the output bitrate the more it costs.

Of course with your video you mentioned that the file size increased when you encoded it.  If you increase the bitrate well above the originally encoded bitrate you're not going to gain any quality.

Monday, December 3, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Thanks for responding David!

Sorry, I'm a newb to this...

Is there a way I can detect a source videos' properties (bit rate...) so I can dynamically choose the optimal encoder preset?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj129582.aspx

• Edited by Rob Vig Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:55 AM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 11:47 PM
  • Unfortunately at the moment that is something that the Media Services SDK cannot do.  That may be something we enable in the future.

For now you would need to download the file and use something like Windows Media Player to read the file properties.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Yep... That's pretty much what I thought.

Thanks again for your help (and work) David!!!

Thursday, December 6, 2012 1:24 PM