none
Deployment - How to package 1000+ jpeg files used in VB.Net 2010 application

Question

• Hello,

I have an application that I am ready to deploy that contains over 1000 jpeg files. In the setup wizard, at the "choose files to include" dialog, do I need to include them? or can I have the deployment package reference them or point to their location only? I have a few Microsoft Access Database files, some text files, and a few XML files to add but am not sure about the 1000+ jpeg files. I am using Visual Studio 2010 and need to install on between 4-8 seats. The database files and jpeg files need to be on a network drive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, JCDFCM

JCDFCM

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 3:02 AM

All replies

• Hi JCDFCM,

It seems that this issue is related to the app deployment, actually this forum is to discuss the VS IDE usage, just to make this issue clearly, do you create the setup project using the ClickOnce or installshield or others? Please let me know more detailed information about this issue, I will help you find a more appropriate forum.

I also find a thread which is related to the ClickOnce about how to specify Which Files Are Published by ClickOnce:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/aa3687e2-710f-4324-89f8-6980e39ee128/conditionally-include-files-in-clickonce-deployment-package?forum=winformssetup

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 9:59 AM
  • Hi Jack,

I did not use the ClickOnce option. I basically created a deployment project including an installer for a test application from examples off the web. It worked but now I am ready to deploy the real application which is at a much larger scale and don't have a lot of experience in this area. Which forum should I post my questions? As I had mentioned earlier, I have over 1000 .jpeg files that I don't want to include on the install. I also have Access and SQLite database files, XML files, and some text files in this app. It will be installed locally on individual laptops connected to a network drive. The database files and jpeg files will be on the network drive. It is a Windows Form application and I'm not sure if I am supposed to use the ClickOnce option. Your link pointed me in the right direction and I will read and experiment but I'm sure I'll have more questions. If you could point me to the right forum, that would be great.

Thanks, JCDFCM

JCDFCM

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 6:26 PM
  • Hi JCDFCM,

>>I did not use the ClickOnce option. I basically created a deployment project including an installer for a test application from examples off the web.

Maybe you could share me a screen shot about the real project template in your VS IDE, so I could understand it better.

But as you said that it is not related to the Click-Once, I feel that it would be related to the installshield tool like this document:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/deployment_technologies/archive/2010/04/20/installshield-limited-edition-is-available-for-download-in-visual-studio-2010.aspx

Did you use this way?

If it is related to the installshield tool, actually we didn't support this third party tool now, but you could post an issue here:

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/forumdisplay.php?133-InstallShield

There you would get dedicated support.

Of course, if you want to use the click-once, this forum would be better:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winformssetup

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 11:48 AM