none
Visual Studio 2017 Version 15.1(26403.7) Developer Command Prompt shows wrong version number -> v15.0.26403.7

Question

• Hello,

I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2017 Version 15.1 (26403.7) Release.

The About Dialog shows Version 15.1 (26403.7) Release.

When I open a command prompt and execute 

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvarsall.bat" x64 8.1
    it shows 

** Visual Studio 2017 Developer Command Prompt v15.0.26403.7
    ** Copyright (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation
    [vcvarsall.bat] Environment initialized for: 'x64'

v15.0.26403.7 instead of v15.1.26403.7

Thanks for the help,

Andreas

Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:59 PM

All replies

• vcvarsall.bat calls VsDevCmd.bat, which shows a banner with the version of file devenv.exe, which is 15.0.xxxxx.y despite the About window shows 15.1.xxxxx.y:

My portal and blog about VSX: http://www.visualstudioextensibility.com; Twitter: https://twitter.com/VSExtensibility; MZ-Tools productivity extension for Visual Studio: https://www.mztools.com

Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:41 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Like Carlos found, the version of the devenv.exe file is different with the VS version, and I got the same result as yours as below:

I already reported this issue to the VS Product Team, please check: VS 2017: The versions between devenv.exe and Help-About Microsoft Visual Studio are different and you can vote it or add a comment, then we need to waiting for the response from VS Product Team engineers.

Sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your feedback and understanding. If you have any other issue about VS IDE in the future, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 6:36 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

Today I got the response that comes from the VS Product Team Engineer, please have a look at the following:

artl:

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We're aware of the discrepancy, and we understand it's not optimal. With the increased builds and updates, we've made sure that help about is telling you the absolute truth about what product you have installed, which includes the distribution information we used at setup time - this is what we display in Help > About. This can differ from the specific version number of devenv.exe. We feel the distribution information is more important in identifying the specific version of the product components you have installed. We've looking into revising devenv.exe, but there are parts of the ecosystem that rely on 15.0 for technical reasons such as runtime binding that will take time to sort out.

Thanks for helping us improve Visual Studio.

Refer to the above description and this thread be closed by not fixed, it looks like this issue will not be fixed recently, but they will update it in the future. To know the actual version of the installed VS, please go to Help-About Microsoft Visual Studio to check it, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

Thursday, May 04, 2017 2:09 AM