• I have done the following:

eset online virus scan - cleaned up a few items

malwarebytes - tested clean

tdskiller - no rootkits

spybot - cleaned up a few items / 2nd test clean

chkdsk /R - no errors

ran tweaking.com utilities - no change

ran 3 differetn MS fixits related to windows update and .NET - no change

ran .net cleanup tool on all versions and was able to install 1.1 and 3.5 but not 4.0 nor SP1

these are correct:

• MsiExecCA32 should end with \Windows\syswow64\msiexec.exe
    • MsiExecCA64 should end with  \Windows\system32\msiexec.exe

I did this:

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

cleared out %temp%

and then tried again with standalone installer and it failed so I ran the vscollect utility and posted the vslogs.cab here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41980146/vslogs.cab

I am somewhat stuck ..... would love to hear from pvdg42 if he catches this, have seen him/her solve other similar issues.

This is a client computer so just let me know if you need different logs

Thanks,

Ken Lebofsky

Steamboat Springs, CO

Monday, May 13, 2013 11:01 PM

Answers

• Just thought I would update this in case anyone else finds it useful .....

Having all but given up, I decided after doing everything above, to rerun the tweaking.com windows repair utility one more time but running as administrator instead of just an 'admin' account. It worked!!! I installed .NET 4.0 from a standalone package and was also able to run windows update and install 12 updates but the .net update failed repeatedly.

download SP1, ran as administrator and it .... installed successfully

ran windows update, able to install all but .... yup ... .NET update

grabbed NDP40-KB2600211 .... run as administrator .... fatal error during install

Calling it good :)

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:27 PM

All replies

• Core error:

INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{F5B09CFD-F0B2-36AF-8DF4-1DF6B63FC7B4}.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.]

Read here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/8d8750d5-5ad6-425e-8ea9-1db8d3bdac40

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:57 AM
  • i looked at the perms for that key and added my account with full control. (The security settings were identical to another machines)

renamed the asembly folder to assembly2

cleared out %temp%

downloaded new standalone 4.0 installer

install failed

went back and followed instructions for perms on 87B3BCA8516B6BA47AD0D63F93004BE1

deleted $temp%

reran installer - failed

deleted the above mentioned key (was identical to another machine so I can recreate it)

i only have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32 - is that the issue? it is a 64 bit install

ran collect

here is the cab, which file in the cab are you looking in primarily for these errors? I do this for a living so feel free treat me like a tech

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41980146/vslogs.cab

and thanks for responding so quickly

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:07 PM
  • Still the same.

INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{F5B09CFD-F0B2-36AF-8DF4-1DF6B63FC7B4}.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.]

When you say "it is a 64 bit install", I assume you mean it's a 64 bit OS. The installer for .NET 4.0 will install both the 32 and 64 bit framework pieces, if it completes.

I also note that your Windows 7 is not up to date. I suggest you install SP1 and subsequent patches. Or, does the title of your post imply "or WIN7 SP1" that you are unable to install that, as well?

If that is the case, I suspect you are suffering from registry corruption, and in your situation, I'd be reinstalling Win 7, then applying all patches before trying to install .NET 4.0.

FWIW, you must have SP1 for Windows 7 installed before installing .NET 4.5.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:41 PM
  • yes, 64 bit OS install and yes SP1 fails to install too .... I hate to give up but the client will not pay me to rebuild it :(

You sir, were still helpful and I thank you

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:21 PM
  • Just thought I would update this in case anyone else finds it useful .....

Having all but given up, I decided after doing everything above, to rerun the tweaking.com windows repair utility one more time but running as administrator instead of just an 'admin' account. It worked!!! I installed .NET 4.0 from a standalone package and was also able to run windows update and install 12 updates but the .net update failed repeatedly.

download SP1, ran as administrator and it .... installed successfully

ran windows update, able to install all but .... yup ... .NET update

grabbed NDP40-KB2600211 .... run as administrator .... fatal error during install

Calling it good :)

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:27 PM