Restore BizTalk server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a backup of BizTalk databases and a fresh BizTalk server Installation ( not configured).Can I point the BizTalk server ( new created) to the backup databases, so that I can get the applications deployed on the BizTalk Admin console.

Please assist.

Regards,

Sharmishtha

Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:48 AM

Answers

• If the SQL is what is corrupted then follow the steps listed in https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/library/ee378546.aspx for restoring the databases on a freshly configured SQL and then connecting the existing BizTalk servers with it.

If the BizTalk server is corrupted (I'm not able to comprehend how ?!?!) then JOIN the new BizTalk Server to the existing group...

If you have corrupted the SSO then "Restore the Master Secret" which should resolve all the other problems.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by Sharmishtha Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:12 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:12 AM

All replies

• Nope.. would not work as the BizTalk Managment Database stores the references to the BizTalk Servers. More Importantly, the SSO has references to the Master Server which is key based and without the SSO the Admin Console behaviour would be not-reliable.

If all you want to see are the list of applications in the console why not directly off the production servers ?

Perhaps if we understood what you're intending to achieve we may better guide you.

Regards.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

I just have database backup. BizTalk servers are corrupted and hence a fresh server on which BizTalk is installed ( not configured). I do not have the BizTalk Server that pointed to the Database backups.

Can I use the database backups to get back the BizTalk configuration that was corrupted

Regards,

Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:15 AM
  • Hi Sharmishtha,

This can not be done. The Biztalk Databases details are stored inside the BizTalkMgmt Database and simply you can not point the current Biztalk to the old databases. You can join the existing group though if your Biztalk is installed and configured on a multi server environment.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:16 AM
  •  BizTalk servers are corrupted ......

Please elaborate...

How many servers are we talking about ? How was the environment single server or multi ? clustered SQL with SSO on the cluster or otherwise ?

Your options for recovery may depend on the environment you have.

Regards.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:37 AM
  • I need to setup a fresh BizTalk ( 2 servers in a BizTalk group, 1 Clustered SQL Server) environment, where only BizTalk is installed.

Corrupted - BizTalk Servers( 2 BizTalk server in active/ passive mode) + 1 sql Server .

Now, I have only the database backups from the corrupted SQL Server.

can I use the database backups to configure the BizTalk on the fresh installation. I have the master secret key. I want the applications on the admin console.

Regards,

Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Will the following steps work:

1. Restore the master Secret Key 2. Join an existing BizTalk group ( pointing to the database backups).

Regards,

Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:03 AM
  • If the SQL is what is corrupted then follow the steps listed in https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/library/ee378546.aspx for restoring the databases on a freshly configured SQL and then connecting the existing BizTalk servers with it.

If the BizTalk server is corrupted (I'm not able to comprehend how ?!?!) then JOIN the new BizTalk Server to the existing group...

If you have corrupted the SSO then "Restore the Master Secret" which should resolve all the other problems.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by Sharmishtha Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:12 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:12 AM
  • Well, what we mean is what exactly do you mean by 'corrupted'.  It may be easier to fix that problem.

Next very, very important question:  is there any state, meaning long running transactions/Orchestrations, you need to recover or are you just looking to get the Applications configuration back?

Yes, it makes a huge difference in how to approach this.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 1:03 PM