Shall I use MS Surface SDK ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to ask please, is it recommended to use the MS Surface SDK while I can use the built in Touch API's in WPF .NET 4 ?

If I decided to work without the MS Surface SDK, what will I lose ? I am asking, because I have problems with ComboBox control when I use the MS Surface SDK, this is for example.

Thanks

hopewise

Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:10 PM

Answers

• The use of Surface SDk in a normal Touch application would be to benefits of ready made control like ScatterViews for instance which do not exist in Windows Touch app. ScatterView implement by default all manipulation processor logic.

If you do not need any specific controls or classes provide by the SDk for Surface, I do not see the benefit to use it in a normal touch app

You should see the Surface SDK as an extension to WPF 4 touch capabilities.

regards

serge

Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.

• Proposed as answer by Serge Calderara Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by hopewise Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:02 PM
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:51 PM

All replies

• The use of Surface SDk in a normal Touch application would be to benefits of ready made control like ScatterViews for instance which do not exist in Windows Touch app. ScatterView implement by default all manipulation processor logic.

If you do not need any specific controls or classes provide by the SDk for Surface, I do not see the benefit to use it in a normal touch app

You should see the Surface SDK as an extension to WPF 4 touch capabilities.

regards

serge

• Proposed as answer by Serge Calderara Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by hopewise Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:02 PM
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:51 PM
  • Thanks, but, I've noticed that the touch responsiveness when using SurfaceWindow is much more faster, is that a true issue, is there a performance improvements when I use the SurfaceWindow ?

hopewise

Sunday, April 8, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Hi

Using the Surface sdk you can take advantage of all the surface controls designed for a NUI user experience such us SurfaceListbox SurfaceButton ecc.

The combobox is not designed to be used with touch and (I din't tested id) but you will have problems with it even using standard wpf app or surface sdk 2 based app.

Please take a look at this post.

regards

Gian Paolo Santopaolo
    Founder and CTO Software Lab
    @gsantopaolo
    softwarelab.it - digitalshopwindow.com - thedarksideof.net
    Disclaimer: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.

Sunday, April 8, 2012 3:50 PM
  • I have made a fast test of combo box on Surface app and the combo box response to TouchEvent like TouchDown, TouchUp ... but it is not respond to SelctionChange event actually

Just a fast test, as it is Sunday have not much time and now sun strat to shine so time to go out...:-)

reagrds

serg

Sunday, April 8, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Hi Serge

save your time, already tested it is not a fast work...

Gian Paolo Santopaolo
    Founder and CTO Software Lab
    @gsantopaolo
    softwarelab.it - digitalshopwindow.com - thedarksideof.net
    Disclaimer: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.

Sunday, April 8, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Take a look at the SelectorControl just posted by the Surface Garage effort: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/surface/archive/2012/04/25/modeselector.aspx

It is not a combobox, but should meet your scenario.

Luis Cabrera
    Dev. Platform Program Manager

Luis Cabrera. Platform Program Manager -- Microsoft Surface @luisito_cabrera Disclaimer: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:52 PM