What is the Difference between Programing to exchange with COD or with Web Services? how close to program to API is it? RRS feed

• Question

• I need help i understanding it. i hope it is in the right place.
    I want to develop in exchange enviorment but i know the Exchange API i a CLOSE CODE.
    so some one told me that in exchange 2003 i can program with somthing that is called COD( Collaboration Data Objects)
    and in exchange 2007 i can program with webservices. i didn't understand what BOTH methods means.
    how close is it to program with these methods to program to the API of the exchange?
    thank You ahead.

Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hi ShatzTal,

Thanks for your question and interest in CDO (Collaboration Data Objects) and EWS (Exchange Web Services). 

Starting point for CDO:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms527795(EXCHG.10).aspx

Starting point for EWS:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc535017(EXCHG.80).aspx

From the EWS overview link above:

"For those of you who have not yet migrated to Exchange Web Services, you often have to use functionality from various APIs, such as WebDAV, Collaboration Data Objects for Exchange 2000 Server (CDOEX), and the Exchange OLE DB provider (ExOLEDB), to create applications. None of these APIs provide all the elements that you need for your applications, such as remote access over HTTP and access to Outlook business logic. EWS provides a unified, cohesive, open standards–based API that replaces other Exchange APIs, while retaining much of their functionality, and extends them with an Outlook-compatible business logic layer."

These resources should give you a good start towards understanding both of these.  The second link (EWS Overview), also has a nice table comparing the benefits of the WebDAV, CDOEX, and Exchange Web Services.  With this information, hopefully, you can make an informed decision about which to use.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Microsoft Open Specification Documentation Support

Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:34 PM