Error VSP1351: unable to create Global\vsperf.Admin RRS feed

• Question

• I get this error when launching the performance tool:

Error VSP1351: The monitor was unable to create one of its global objects (Global\vsperf.Admin).  Verify that another monitor is not running, or that another application hasn't created an object of the same name.

I've verified that there are not other monitors running and a file system search turns up no instand of this Global\vsperf.Admin file (if it is even a file).

I'm not sure what to do to get the performance tools to work again.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    -Greg-

Friday, November 23, 2007 6:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

Global\vsperf.Admin is a named object, not a file. I need some context about your scenario:

Which version of Visual Studio do you use?

How did you start your application under profiler - did you launch a process or attach to existing one? Did you try to start it from Visual Studio IDE?

Which operating system are you using? Do you have multiple user sessions in that OS?

Thank you,

Boris

Friday, November 30, 2007 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

Global\vsperf.Admin is a named object, not a file. I need some context about your scenario:

Which version of Visual Studio do you use?

How did you start your application under profiler - did you launch a process or attach to existing one? Did you try to start it from Visual Studio IDE?

Which operating system are you using? Do you have multiple user sessions in that OS?

Thank you,

Boris

Friday, November 30, 2007 5:57 PM
  • I have the same problem.
    Windows XP SP2.
    I develop.
    I use Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Developers.
    Made Unit Test project.
    Started one and this error occured.
    Why?
    What should I do?
    I have to restart my computer because of that.
    Sometime it works and again problem occurs after awhile.

Friday, March 7, 2008 9:50 AM
  • Hi Tijana,

Do you have Visual Studio 2005 SP1 installed?  I'm not sure if it would fix your issue, but it's a good update to have installed anyway.  Do multiple people use the machine you're on, or is it just you?

It seems like you only see this issue after running unit tests a number of times.  Is this correct?  According to the error, it sounds like another process is holding onto or has already created that object.  You can find out which process has the named object by doing the following:

1. Get to a state where you're getting this error
    2. Download and run Process Explorer
    3. Do a find with Ctrl+F or by selecting "Find" -> "Find Handle or DLL..."
    4. Search for vsperf.Admin and see if any processes come up (what processes do you see here?)
    5. At your own risk, kill the process (this should force it to release the named object)
    6. Re-run the unit tests

If you see that the process is devenv.exe (Visual Studio), then does restarting VS and re-running the unit test help?

Regards,

Chris

Friday, March 7, 2008 6:24 PM