Azure FIle Sync - cross forest RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I am about to build new environment, where there are quite some branches involved.

For migration of the file server from old domain to new, I have been thinking about using Azure File Sync for this purpose.

I am NOT going to have a trust between old and new AD domain - but heres the idea I have been thinking:

1. setup Azure File Sync on old file server + new file server

2. let Azure File Sync replicate data to new file server

3. on new file server, I guess I will end up with a lot of "unknown" SIDs, coming from old domain?

4. on new File Server, build new NTFS ACLs on folders as required - now, I guess I will also have a lot of "unknown" SIDs on the old filserver, coming from the new domain?

With the above, I will be able to have the 2 file servers running in parallel during migration, and when migration is ended and old file server is decomissioned, I will clean up the "unknown" SID entries on folder on new file server.

Any thoughts on above? Have anyone tried something similar or are able to confirm the above behaviour?

• Edited by rasmusan Tuesday, November 13, 2018 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 8:01 AM

All replies

• While performing the migration has well when you move from AD1 to AD2 you need to retain the SID in both domains. This will ensure that ownership won't change too much.

Once that is done, you can port the new file share and use tools AFS, Robocopy

Note: Make sure your user account SID doesn't change

If you are performing the WAN based migration first, then files need to reach your AD2 file server and it’s DFS to the rightful file server somewhere over WAN DFS have delta replication.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:49 AM
  • Judging from your reply, I am not sure you understand what I have in mind in regards to migration - please read through my description carefully and get back

thanks.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:53 AM