Strange behavior in BCS List RRS feed

• Question

• I have a BCS connection to a simple SQL View that is reporting a Trace of recent events from an integration database, for monitoring purposes.

The data refreshes correctly and all operations work, and I can change the sorting on the list etc, all the usual stuff

I noticed that if I change the Item Limit for batching to anything other than the standard 30 items, paging on the list no longer works.

In addition, even when paging is working, it returns some funky results, for example there is only 174 items currently in this view, but SharePoint allows me to page indefinitely and the results appear jumbled.  I could click the forward button on paging forever, and it would never stop or reach the end. 

Is there something wrong with the way it is implemented, or is this a bug or is this behavior that is expected when paging through a BCS-based list>?

DWM

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 1:05 AM

Answers

• It is not a bug, rather, it appears to be my implementation of BCS.  If I leave the records the way they are when they come through BCS, everything behaves normally.  If I just sort the view through the SharePoint GUI, things get wonky.  After I did some research I realized that paging, and in particular sorting, should mostly be controlled at the datasource, and there are some additional changes that need to be made in the configuration of the BCS connection that you must undertake in order to get better sorting behavior.

DWM

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:19 PM

All replies

• Seems like a bug, how about an update or hotfix? not sure if it is repaired in the latest CU...

Work hard, play harder!

Thursday, July 2, 2015 12:38 PM
  • It is not a bug, rather, it appears to be my implementation of BCS.  If I leave the records the way they are when they come through BCS, everything behaves normally.  If I just sort the view through the SharePoint GUI, things get wonky.  After I did some research I realized that paging, and in particular sorting, should mostly be controlled at the datasource, and there are some additional changes that need to be made in the configuration of the BCS connection that you must undertake in order to get better sorting behavior.

DWM

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:19 PM