VS 2010 Passing a Selected Build from TFS Build Explorer to VSX Toolwindow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, first I would like to thank the Microsoft folks for the help they have given on this project.

That said, I have got a working Toolwindow that is ready for its next step of Integration.  The Toolwindow  references a WPF User Control project.  The project has a WCF remote service and at present opens up an Msi dropped from File Explorer and checks profiler variables before submitting it to another server.  This is an ongoing proof of concept and I have been asked to get the Build(or a reference) from the TFS Build Explorer when the user makes a selection from the Any Build Quality dropdown.  Then in the toolwindow I can identify and process the selected build. 

The TFS portion is all new to me and I have also submitted this question to the TFS Forum. I am also putting it here in case someone VSX has any learning sources or clues to achieve this goal.  Help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Danny

been there, left, and now I'm back
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hello Danny,

From my understanding, what you want to do is purely client side programming. However, I am afraid that the team build client UI component doesn't provide documented API for you to access. It's not a supported scenario.

I'd suggest you to find other workaround for this feature.

If you really want this feature, you can take a look of the assembly of Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.Build.dll under PrivateAssembly folder in VS IDE root folder. It contains some public undocumented interfaces. 

Hongye Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by isitdanny Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:02 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:30 AM

All replies

• Hello Danny,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Thanks Ziwei,

I appreciate it.

Cheers, Danny

Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Hello Danny,

From my understanding, what you want to do is purely client side programming. However, I am afraid that the team build client UI component doesn't provide documented API for you to access. It's not a supported scenario.

I'd suggest you to find other workaround for this feature.

If you really want this feature, you can take a look of the assembly of Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.Build.dll under PrivateAssembly folder in VS IDE root folder. It contains some public undocumented interfaces. 

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by isitdanny Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:02 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:30 AM
  • Thanks Hongye for the reply.
      I have been working on it and I had come to the same conclusion.  It is a necessary requirement and now has  expanded to needing much more information from the TFS Database.  Now I know I am on the right track.  Again, thanks-

Danny

Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:01 AM