Network File Access RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings! I have several Windows-based computers on a small peer-to-peer network. Here's the layout: My Internet modem connects to a wired router/switch we'll call Router A. I come out of one of the ports in Router A and connect to a wireless router/switch we'll call Router B. Now, I'm sure you're thinking: "why not connect Router B directly to the modem?" Well that's a long story so suffice it to say that Router B continuously drops the IP when connected directly to the modem so it needs to be wired this way. Let's just accept that as an assumption.

My question is: how do I need to configure the IP addresses and subnet mask settings in each to allow computers connected to one router to share resources with computers on the other router?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:34 AM

All replies

• Basically you need to do this...

1. Disable any DHCP server function on Router B.

2. Plug in Router B to Router A (your internet front end) LAN port to LAN port using a regular/straight patch cable.

3. Assign a LAN IP to Router B in the same range of Router A, ie. 192.168.1.2 if Router A is set up for 192.168.1.X for example. Make sure the IP is outside the range of assigned DHCP addresses handed out by Router A.

4. Static IP addresses and subnet masks on the PCs need to be in the same range as Router A, ie. 192.168.1.X and 255.255.255.0 for example. Make sure the static IP addresses are outside the range of assigned DHCP addresses handed out by Router A. Otherwise use DHCP assigned IP addresses on your PCs.

See this for guidance to keep this forum on topic...

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1604444&SiteID=1

Thanks...

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:26 AM
  • Al:

Thanks so much for your help!!!

My apologies to everyone if my posting was off-topic -- that was not my intention. This was the closest that I could find last night when I posted. Thanks for sending the link with the posting guidelines.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:14 AM