none
Mixed Mode application suddenly stops loading assemblies RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a mixed modes application that will occasionally stop executing managed code assemblies after a Windows update. This has been occurring for over a month now so I have not been able to identify any particular update as the problem. We see the problem predominately on XPSP3 but have also seen several times on Vista and once or twice on 7. On a machine that stops working the Fusion log will show a file not found error on the last assembly loaded.

    LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
    LOG: No application configuration file found.
    LOG: Using machine configuration file from c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config.
    LOG: Post-policy reference: AProvider.Data.SqlClient.resources, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=en, PublicKeyToken=c84cd5c63851e072
    LOG: The same bind was seen before, and was failed with hr = 0x80070002.
    ERR: Unrecoverable error occurred during pre-download check (hr = 0x80070002).

    If I delete this assembly, the application will run although not correctly since the data layer has been removed but it does execute as expected instead of hanging.

    If we run Procmon and watch the probes the correct folders are searched and the images show as loading. But execution fails, either the application hangs or exits.

    If we move the assemblies to a 'special' folder such as Program Files or Documents, regasm the primary assembly and delete the assemblies from the application folder the application runs fine. Remove them from these folders and put back in the application folder and the application again fails.

    This is machine dependent. One machine will run fine and the one alongside of it won't. We have not be able to forcibly recreate the problem from scratch, but once a machine stops working we can always return it to a state where it won't work..

    For weeks everything is fine then one day the app stops working. Because this is spread across many environements (I don't have control over) it doesn't appear to be linked (at least not yet) to any particular machine configuration. Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Monday, August 23, 2010 9:13 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Thanks for your post. Are you sure that this is caused by a Windows update? If so, could you check that if the updates installation is successful? Though it is not directly related to your symptom, the following article addressed a similar 0x80070002 error after installing some Windows updates. I hope it could be of some help.

    You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download an update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server Update Services


    Please mark the right answer at right time.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:15 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. That is not the issue. As you say it may not be related, the only evidence I have is that the problems always occur after updates come out. I know one particular instance where a machine worked at COB, updates were applied overnight and the machine failed in the morning. We have tried backing out updates without success. But, it could be something else. I would like to find out so I can modify the application so it works properly.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:52 AM