none
How to debug KMDF driver during runtime of Windows? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How to debug KMDF driver after installation? Actually I need to debug some IOCTLs and ISRs during runtime of Windows, when driver will work.

I have Windows 7 32-bit.

Previously I have debugged drivers during start up of the Windows, but how to debug driver, when Windows is running, I do not know and can not find how.

--

Kind regards,

Alexey Kisliy

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:50 AM

Answers

• You connect a kernel debugger and debug. You need to enable kernel debugging in the OS, but don't have to connect at boot. Also, add instrumentation via wpp logging and you can get the traces with standard tools without a debugger

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:56 PM

All replies

• You connect a kernel debugger and debug. You need to enable kernel debugging in the OS, but don't have to connect at boot. Also, add instrumentation via wpp logging and you can get the traces with standard tools without a debugger

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:56 PM
  • Thank you for the answer, Doron.

Could you, please, yet point, how to turn on kernel debugging in the OS?

Thanks in advance!

--

Kind regards,

Alexey Kisliy

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:02 PM
  • The same way you turned on the kernel debugger when debugging your driver at windows start, eg

bcdedit /debug on

Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:02 PM
  • This is the command:

bcdedit /debug on
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:06 PM
  • I did that previously with command:

bcdedit /set {current} debug yes

Is it the same?

--

Kind regards,

Alexey Kisliy

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:17 AM
  • yes, it is the same

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:59 AM
  • Thanks. It is clear now.

--

Kind regards,

Alexey Kisliy

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Thanks. It is clear now.

--

Kind regards,

Alexey Kisliy

can you tell me how to set up the kernel debugging environment over a serial cable for a boot_startup type driver????
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 1:30 PM