Barcode Webmatrix RRS feed

• Question

• User1481030129 posted

Dear,

I'm currently adding a textbox into one of my pages that will store the chassisnumber of the car into the database based on a barcode.
    When scanning the barcode, I see that the barcode is filled-in in the textbox, but dissappears directly when the complete barcode is filled-in.

How can I set the focus on the textbox so that I the chassisnumbers stays in the textbox?

Thanks for your help!

Bartvn

Saturday, May 3, 2014 7:50 AM

All replies

• User-1416423428 posted

I see that the barcode is filled-in in the textbox, but dissappears directly when the complete barcode is filled-in.

Have you checked if a Carriage Return is added at the end of the barcode number that's why it looks as if the numbers disappear from the textbox. (But actually, what you're seeing is the CR and the barcode number scrolled up out of view)

Do you mean you want the focus on a particular input textbox on initial pageload? So that the barcode scanner goes to the textbox that you want?  Use tag "autofocus" 

<input type="text" name="barcodenumber" autofocus>

Saturday, May 3, 2014 3:30 PM
  • User1481030129 posted

Hello CASPartan,

Thanks for the Autofocus element. I looked over it as & seems so simple.
    For what the carriage return concerns, I checked again the barcode that we create through a barcode generator on the internet and we don't add a carriage return after the chassisnumber. So I generated the barcode again and scanned it, but the problem stays the same.

How can I keep the chassisnumber in the textbox?

Thanks for you help!

Bartvn

Sunday, May 4, 2014 3:24 PM
  • User-1416423428 posted
    I mean your handheld barcode scanner...it's basically a keyboard. Does the scanner add a line feed or carriage return after finishing scanning each barcode?
    Sunday, May 4, 2014 4:12 PM
  • User1481030129 posted

OK. Sorry I misunderstand your question.

My barcode is indeed configured with a carriage return, this in order to jump to the next field but this doesn't work neither.

Sunday, May 4, 2014 4:18 PM
  • User-1454326058 posted

Hi bartvn,

How do you implement that? Please provide the complete code to us.

Thanks

Best Regards

Monday, May 5, 2014 5:31 AM
  • User-1416423428 posted

My barcode is indeed configured with a carriage return, this in order to jump to the next field but this doesn't work neither.

Well... when filling out online forms, you don't use a carriage return to jump to the next field either.  You use a TAB to jump to the next online field. 

See if you can disable from your barcode scanner driver or setup program from adding CR at the end of each scan.  

Monday, May 5, 2014 1:21 PM
  • User938738290 posted

I actually ran up against this exact issue this morning when my app went to UAT.  The barcode scanner I was testing with was configured not to add a carriage return, but one of my users had a different model that did insert the return

You'll need to find the control barcodes for your scanner (Not sure if different scanners use different control codes), and find the one that will configure the scanner to input the barcode value and nothing else.  In the manual for the scanner I dealt with today, this was marked "Data As Is".

Monday, May 5, 2014 2:17 PM
  • User1481030129 posted

Hi,

I tried to change the setting on my barcode scanner, but it seems that I still have the issue.
    Is there any other solution?

I'm already working on this quitte a time on it and I added also the autofocus, but did doesn't solved my problem neither.

Thanks for all your help !
    Bartvn

Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:04 PM
  • User1481030129 posted
    Hi,

I have a customer table that contains the customer Information and another table containing the trucks Information. In the truck table I have the customerID field added to the table in order to have an association between the truck and to which customer the truck belongs.

I would like to be able to have a search field based on the chassis number so that i can do a search based on a barcode and for which the customer Information is directly displayed. How can I do this?
    NeXT to that, once the customer Information is displayed, i would like to be able to add an order form that is linked to the customer Information, but that containers also the Truck Information as the workorder form is based per truck / customer.
    Who could help me with this?

Thank you in advance for your support,
    Bartvn
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:52 PM
  • User1481030129 posted
    Dear,

I'm currently looking after some advice on the implmentation described in my previous post.
    Does someone have some experience with this?

Thank you for your support,
    Bartvn
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:50 AM
  • User1481030129 posted
    Dear,

I'm still strugling with this issue and i was wondering if someone has a step-by-step approach on how implementing a search field described as above?

Thank you all for the great support!

Best regards,
    Bartvn
    Saturday, September 20, 2014 8:30 AM
  • User895691971 posted

I don't think someone has a step-by-step approach on how implementing a search field described as above. You will have to search for some library to do this. If there was some one with that much knowledge or an experience on that, he would have posted an answer here. 

You can search on MSDN documents for a library, or you can Google it. Most of the developers have 90% same issues 10% issues are your own created ones. You can use the knowledge for that 90% and use it in your own 10% to create a 100% working solution. Fair enough, I guess!

Saturday, September 20, 2014 2:20 PM