How to play asf video in windows phone 8?

Question

• I am doing an ipcamera application in windows phone 8 . Where i am getting video format "video/x-ms-asf" . I am able to play it using vlc player by directly giving the url. But i am not getting it in windows phone by Media element.

How we can play asf file in windows phone ?

By my understanding media element is not supporting asf file playing directly. Can anybody suggest any idea?
    Monday, September 15, 2014 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The ASF file container is supported by default on all Microsoft platforms. Keep in mind that ASF is only a file container and may contain content encoded with a codec that is not supported on the platform and may require you to supply a codec. Another possibility is that the network streaming protocol being used by the camera is not supported by the platform. In Windows Phone 8.1 the only streaming protocol we support natively is Microsoft's custom RTSP solution and Microsoft's proprietary HTTP streaming. We do not currently support HLS or DASH natively. We do have support for Smooth Streaming via the Smooth Streaming player SDK.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Monday, September 15, 2014 7:58 PM

All replies

• I'll ask our media expert to check this out.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, September 15, 2014 12:22 PM
  • Hello,

The ASF file container is supported by default on all Microsoft platforms. Keep in mind that ASF is only a file container and may contain content encoded with a codec that is not supported on the platform and may require you to supply a codec. Another possibility is that the network streaming protocol being used by the camera is not supported by the platform. In Windows Phone 8.1 the only streaming protocol we support natively is Microsoft's custom RTSP solution and Microsoft's proprietary HTTP streaming. We do not currently support HLS or DASH natively. We do have support for Smooth Streaming via the Smooth Streaming player SDK.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Monday, September 15, 2014 7:58 PM