none
Linking columns RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to update the text in tblSIGNS column Open_Work_Order to say yes if tblHISTORY Column Urgency is High, Medium, or Low for the same Sign id that is in both tables(tblhistory column name is SIGN_ID and tblSigns column name is SIGNID) and tblSIGNS column Open_Work_Order to say no when tblHISTORY Column Urgency says Completed. In my form that is bound to tblSIGNS I have a text box that is bound to Open_Work_Order.
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:08 PM

All replies

• Hi. Not sure if this answers your question but if you're using version 2010, you could create data macros to automatically update the record whenever a field is changed. Just a thought...
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:21 PM
  • Post the table structure of both table with names and datatype.

How are the tables related other than both having a field (column) named Sign_ID?

Build a little, test a little

Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:22 PM
  • That's the only way they are related.  

Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:30 PM
  • How are you interfacing with them?

Post the table structure of both table with names and datatype.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:43 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by interfacing with them. But the only way they are conected is if I have the Sign ID open in the form and click a button it open another form that I can but a work order into for that sign ID that is stored in tblhistory.

This is tblHISTORY

This is part1 of tblSIGNS

And this is Part 2 of tblSIGNS

Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:44 PM
  • tblSIGNS should have SIGNID as primary key and  tblHISTORY should have ORDER_NUM as primary key with SIGNID as foreign key.

You should have a form (Sign)/subform (Order_Num) and set the Master/Child links using tblSIGNS primary key - SIGNID and tblHISTORY foreign key – SIGNID.

When you add a new workorder in the subform the foreign key will be automatically entered in the tblHISTORY.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:07 PM