Problem promoting a Windows 8 Server in a Windows 2008 R2 domain

Question

• I have a Windows 2008 R2 lab domain, I like to add a Windows 8 server as a second domain controller. I have follow Paul Adare step by step
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/7c0adb60-8b63-4ae6-9116-853805732597
    In my case have I added one component, DNS and that seems to be a problem.
    Then I have clicked throw the wizard and comes to “Prerequisites validation” will I get a fault that I don’t know how to fix.

Running
    Starting
    Executing test VerifyADPrepPrerequisites
    Executing test VerifyUserCredentialPermissions
    Executing test VerifyDcPromoCore
    Finished
    Completed
    The following prerequisites failed:
    DCPromo failed with code: 77
    You specified that you would like to create a DNS delegation in the parent zone but attempts
    to create the delegation failed. This could be because you do not have permissions to do so,
    or because the DNS Zone/Dns delegation record already exists, or because the zone is hosted
    by a server that does not run Windows. To ensure that this domain controller can be found by
    other computers on the network you must create a DNS delegation in the parent zone for
    this domain. To do so, contact an administrator who is responsible for the parent DNS zone.

Prerequisites Check Completed
    One or more prerequisites failed. Please fix these issues and click "rerun"

Martin Skorvald
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 7:26 AM

All replies

• On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 07:26:23 +0000, Martin Skorvald wrote:

Then I have clicked throw the wizard and comes to ?Prerequisites validation? will I get a fault that I don?t know how to fix.

Have you tried adding the DNS role after you've promoted the computer to be
    a DC?

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    This login session:  $13.76, but for you:  $11.88.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Hello,

What functional level have you specified in the wizard for both the domain and the forest? Windows Server 8 or Windows Server 2008 R2?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:53 AM
  • On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 09:53:14 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

What functional level have you specified in the wizard for both the domain and the forest? Windows Server 8 or Windows Server 2008 R2?

The wizard won't complete if you specify a DFL or FFL of Windows Server 8
    as noted in my original post. Martin has already stated that he followed my
    original post and in any event, the error message has nothing at all to
    with either DFL or FFL.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Long computations that yield zero are probably all for naught.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:57 PM
  • not solved

I think when the day comes that we shell installing Windows 8 Server in customers' data centers, it will be in an existing 2008 R2 domain. And whether there is a need for a new domain controller, it will be on Windows 8 Server that will be promoted. And that's the case I want to test.

Al reedy existing domain:  corp.ellab.nu
    Domain and forest functional level: 2008 R2
    corp.ellab.nu have one domain controller adds00001.corp.ellab.nu, it runs ADDS and DNS.
    New server running Windows 8 Server host name adds00002

Discussion
    The problem is that I can’t promote adds00002 to be a domain controller in corp.ellab.nu.
    It doesn’t matter if I have the DNS roll installed or not. The problem is DNS delegation because it is the same forest, is delegation not a most. But in dialog 4 is DNS delegation gray out so it is not possible to untick. But of course it works with PowerShell even when the DNS role was installed. The one thing but had to do is to change from true to false for the key CreateDNSDelegation. No reboot was required.

Run in Active Directory Module for PowerShell as an administrator

Import-Module ADDSDeployment
    Install-ADDSDomainController `
    -ApplicationPartitionsToReplicate @("DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=corp,DC=ellab,DC=nu", "DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=corp,DC=ellab,DC=nu") `
    -ConfigureGlobalCatalog:$true `
    -CreateDNSDelegation:$false `
    -Credential (Get-Credential) `
    -CriticalReplicationOnly:$false `
    -DatabasePath "E:\Windows\NTDS" `
    -DomainName "corp.ellab.nu" `
    -InstallDNS:$true `
    -LogPath "F:\Windows\NTDS" `
    -RebootOnCompletion:$false `
    -ReplicationSourceDC "adds00001.corp.ellab.nu" `
    -SafeModeAdministratorPassword (Read-Host -AsSecureString -Prompt "Enter Password") `
    -SiteName "SEGBG01" `
    -SYSVOLPath "G:\Windows\SYSVOL"

Martin Skorvald Elevation AB

Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Do not get too happy.

After rebooting the new Windows 8 server did I get the black shame of death.

I try again and comeing back to you.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:42 AM
  • I have tried every for me known ways to promote this server to a domain controller, and the screen is still pitch black. It doesn't matter if I logon throw the hyper-v consol or by rdp.

Friday, December 30, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Log on to a management server add server with the black screen to Server Manager, open the Computer Management console towards the server with the black screen. In the console tree to the left expand the Service and Applications icon. Connect to the Services console. Stop the service User Access Logging Service \ UALSVC, log on to the server with the black screen. If you are lucky you will now a desktop screen.

Friday, January 27, 2012 9:12 AM