Launch External Files from SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a report that will list the names of files that are attached to this report in the database.  I would like to include the list of files from the database and allow the users to click or double click the file name and have the file load.  Is there a way for SSRS to do this?  The files can be in multiple formats, and in the project that adds the files we can use:

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(filepath)

And it will launch the correct process to view the files.  I have stored the the file itself in an image column, and I also have the full path and the file name in columns as well so I could create a dataset to retrieve the file names and show them on the report.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Friday, February 7, 2014 5:20 PM

Answers

• Hi katghoti,

If I understand correctly, you want to embed external files (word, pdf, image etc.) into a report in Reporting Services. If in this scenario, I suggest that you can use the following two methods to achieve your requirement:

1. Embed these files into database.
          1) Use the SQL commands to embed these files in database as the image data.
          2) Use the .net language (C#, VB) to convert this data into the image.
          3) Use the image control to show these images, which are files embedded in database.
      Reference:
      How to embed a pdf document in Reporting Services
    2. Upload these files in the report server, access them using URL.
          1) We can upload these files in the report manager.
          2) Adding hyperlinks to reports to link to these files stored on the report server.
      Reference:
      URL Access Parameter Reference in Reporting Services
      How to add a Hyperlink to a URL in Reporting Services

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Uri DimantMVP Monday, February 10, 2014 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Katherine Xiong Sunday, February 16, 2014 12:51 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Instead of storing the images in the databases, I would suggest to store the file path or location in the database and use as a hyperlink while displaying the report. Once the user clicks on the path he can download the file.

HTH,

Ram

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps

Friday, February 7, 2014 8:37 PM
  • The path is indeed stored in the database.  The problem comes that these are not images stored, but these are files stored in a column of type image.  So these files can be word documents, PDF's, pictures, emails, anything.  If I just store the path, I cannot guarentee the will still be in that location, that is why we store them in the database.  Through a windows app it is simple to bring them down and show them, not so much in a web app.  I don't think this will be possible, but thank you for the suggestions.

Friday, February 7, 2014 9:37 PM
  • Hi katghoti,

If I understand correctly, you want to embed external files (word, pdf, image etc.) into a report in Reporting Services. If in this scenario, I suggest that you can use the following two methods to achieve your requirement:

1. Embed these files into database.
          1) Use the SQL commands to embed these files in database as the image data.
          2) Use the .net language (C#, VB) to convert this data into the image.
          3) Use the image control to show these images, which are files embedded in database.
      Reference:
      How to embed a pdf document in Reporting Services
    2. Upload these files in the report server, access them using URL.
          1) We can upload these files in the report manager.
          2) Adding hyperlinks to reports to link to these files stored on the report server.
      Reference:
      URL Access Parameter Reference in Reporting Services
      How to add a Hyperlink to a URL in Reporting Services

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Uri DimantMVP Monday, February 10, 2014 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Katherine Xiong Sunday, February 16, 2014 12:51 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 6:20 AM