I am trying to develop an application on SQL for WinCE 7 and aware of following facts:
There are 2 ways to access SQL compact database from application -
- Through a managed programing language such as C# or VB.NET which require .NET compact framework.
- By using SQL native client programing (OLE DB).
- The version of SQL compact dlls that Visual studio 2008 is using (by default without any update) is V3.5.5386.
- I have the necessary and required registry settings for SQL CE .cab installer for version V3.5.5386 and V3.5.8154 for my Wince Device and I have .cab installer for both.
- When I add SQL compact framework in catalog item of platform builder and build the image, then Version of SQL compact is V3.5.8154 which I checked from registry of device.
I have the following questions for application on Wince 7 (assumed that device does not have SQL compact framework by default and we have to use the .cab installer to install SQL framework):
- When I made application for SQL to access database using C#, the application would work fine if SQL CE V3.5.5386 framework is installed on device. Yes this is what it should be because of the point 2) mentioned above. But, if I am trying to access database using native programing (OLE DB) and SQL CE V3.5.5386 framework is installed on device, then the application freezes or enters a wait state.
“CoCreateInstance(CLSID_SQLSERVERCE_3_5, NULL, CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER, IID_IDBInitialize, (void**)&pIDBInitialize) ”
- returns successfully
“pIDBInitialize->QueryInterface(IID_IDBDataSourceAdmin, (void **) &pIDBDataSourceAdmin)”
- returns successfully
“pIDBDataSourceAdmin->CreateDataSource(1, dbpropset, NULL, IID_IUnknown, &pIUnknownSession)”
- Here the application freezes or waits.
But if I install SQL CE V3.5.8154 framework, the application work properly.
What is the reason for it, is it because of the fact that Wince 7 support for SQL compact is only available in the higher version of SQL compact (if not wrong after V3.5.8088) according to this article:
- I was not able to find any article or information about the SQL compact framework V3.5.8154.
- What updates are required to update the SQL dlls from V3.5.5386 to V3.5.8154 that are used for C# application.
I am deplorable for post such huge query but if anybody have any information on it then please reply to this post.
- There are 2 ways to access SQL compact database from application -
Yes I can deploy the latest version with my app. but problem is, when I am accessing SQL database from C# application it searches for SQL V3.5.5386 and not SQL V3.5.8154 because:
"The version of SQL compact dlls that Visual studio 2008 is using (by default without any update) is V3.5.5386 " when i make application i make in c#.
I am not able to find any article or information about SQL CE V3.5.8154 and the latest update seems to be V3.5.8109
As mentioned in this article:
1) I found a post that will help you understand my problem in a better way (it is very much similar):
2) I have updated the reference, as you mentioned to 220.127.116.11 but this error message is shown (I used .cab installer for SQL CE V3.5.8154):
"MissingMethodException File or assembly name "System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=18.104.22.168, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3BE235DF1C8D2AD3', or one of its dependencies was not found."
3) I want to use same SQL CE dlls (specifically V3.5.8154) for my both application, one in C# and other in Native using OLE DB.
Looking forward to get back your response soon.
Thanks and regards,