none
Limits on the number of columns in a table?

Question

• I have a database hosted by GoDaddy. Recently they made some changes to the interface and upgraded to SQL Server 2008. One or the other has made it impossible to access my data in one table.

The table is quite large in terms of the numbers of elements. Each row describes a dog and all the elements are components of the description. There are (I would guess) more than 50 elements all together.

When I try to search the database, the query form goes beyond the top and bottom of the page. I can scroll the database but the search tool  (which lies atop the data) does not scroll. The result is that I can't activate the search.

I've tried about 10 machines. All with IE6 display this fault. Machines with IE7 do not. I've tried various screen resolutions on the machines with IE6. That doesn't help.

I've checked other tables in the database. No problem.

In short, there's nothing I can do. I can't edit my data and GoDaddy says, "Tough."

Is there a limit on the number of columns (elements) in a table in SQL Server 2008?

Eric

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:30 PM

Answers

• You can have 1024 columns per base table in SQL 2000 and SQL 2005.  SQL 2008 would be at a minimum the same:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432.aspx

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:27 AM
  • It definately seems like an issue with your hosting companies web application.  I will tell you from experience that you have to be persistently on the phone and asking for supervisors to get complex problems resolved with the company you have chosen.  Otherwise you wind up in a circular pattern of by email that won't get you anywhere.  You need a supervisor or higher that can log in to your site and database and mimic the same query/problem on their end.  Then you can get an escalation, but on this, I would expect that you won't get immediate turn around. 

Your other option is to backup the database, and then FTP it down from your _dbbackups folder on your site.  Then attach it to Express and run the query there.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:12 PM

All replies

• You can have 1024 columns per base table in SQL 2000 and SQL 2005.  SQL 2008 would be at a minimum the same:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432.aspx

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:27 AM
  • Given that your issue isn't a column restriction, I would start by asking what kind of a "query form" you're using.  Can you not edit your data via TSQL?

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:50 AM
  • Seems to be something web-related, since IE6 doesn't work, but IE7 does work...?

/Kenneth

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 11:41 AM
  • It definately seems like an issue with your hosting companies web application.  I will tell you from experience that you have to be persistently on the phone and asking for supervisors to get complex problems resolved with the company you have chosen.  Otherwise you wind up in a circular pattern of by email that won't get you anywhere.  You need a supervisor or higher that can log in to your site and database and mimic the same query/problem on their end.  Then you can get an escalation, but on this, I would expect that you won't get immediate turn around. 

Your other option is to backup the database, and then FTP it down from your _dbbackups folder on your site.  Then attach it to Express and run the query there.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:12 PM
  • I've exhausted my options. I spent an hour on the phone the other night between "1st line support"  and the supervisors. I got nowhere other than "you need to change to IE7." There was no response to my question of "Do all your customers run IE7?"

I have a rather simple application that runs on the web. To keep it simple, some of the database updates I have to do directly in the database. I don't use anything fancy. I tell it what table I want to query and then use the form provided by SQL Server. Well...I did. It's so screwed up that I'm not able to do anything with the primary table. I'd shift to Alpha and attach to the table and run my queries...but the ISP won't allow it.

I'm going to look for a new ISP. This one (GoDaddy) is obviously not into customer satisfaction and service.

Thanks.

Eric Johnson

Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:04 PM