Implementation of Windows Authentication RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello guys,

We are considering an implementation similar to Windows Authentication of SQL Server for our product. We would like to "integrate" with Windows Active Directory using .NET. I have found various resources on the net mostly on retrieving users from AD using LDAP or DirectorySearcher, authenticating a user provided you know username/password, finding if a user is belongs to a group etc.

I am a starter in this topic and I have found nothing about implementing Windows Authentication Login, where somehow you know that a user is an authenticated domain user. I need some keywords to start looking around and your comments on this topic will help a great deal as I do not know where to start

Thanks,
    Kosta
    kkt
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 9:54 AM

All replies

• I'm interested in this, too. I need to control access to my application, but I don't want to prompt for credentials just so I can hit the Active Directory again.

Isn't this simply a matter of verifying there's an active LSA login session? And, maybe, whether it was a local or domain login?

What API is available to a user mode program to learn about the login session or the information in the login token?

If domain authentication was used, what Active Directory user attributes are available to me? Or do I have to explicitly load, say, the group membership?

Can anyone provide some tips on where to start looking?

Thanks!
    mermeister
    Friday, February 20, 2009 6:19 PM