none
Where do I start to learn VBA for visio, excel, and project RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there,

I'm trying to write a script that will automate this process:

I want to be able to pull specific key dates from project files that are stored on a network(shared) drive, and create a custom timeline. There is a very specific way I want the visio charts to be, so that is why I'm not simply using the import from project tool.

My main questions are:

1. Is it possible to do this by simply using the vba editor opened from the develoer tab in visio, or would using something like powershell be a better option?

2. Is there a specific book that I can read to learn the vba coding? is it the same as .net?

3. are there specific vba codes for each application (project, excel, and visio), or are they somewhat universal?

4. How hard is this going to be for a beginner? I don't have much experience with programming. I've done some very very miniscule things with .net, but I'm still pretty clueless.

Thanks,

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:28 PM

Answers

• Some general comments re VBA...

VBA is not the same as Anything.net

There is some VBA code that applies to Office and a great deal more that only applies to a specific Office application.
    Code for Office or a specific application can change depending on the version.
    It is best to develop in the oldest version to be used and test on the later versions.  MS will claim compatibility between versions, but that is just puffery.

It is much easier to write code for an application you are familiar with and use frequently.  I can program in Excel, but would be in trouble in Visio or Project.

Office allows you to record code while executing operations in the application.
    That is a good way to get a look at "getting started" code.
    Recorded code will need much editing and will not always work in a slightly different situation.

There are Office programming books with sections devoted to the various Office applications.  The dedicated application books are much better for the serious programmer.

'---
    Jim Cone
    Portland, Oregon USA
    https://goo.gl/IUQUN2 (Dropbox)
    (free & commercial excel programs)

Saturday, August 24, 2013 4:14 PM