Why won't Windows Media Player query IPropertyStore when adding custom files to the library? RRS feed

• Question

• I've implemented IMFByteStreamHandler, IMFMediaFileSource and IPropertyStore as specified here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff384834 with the same properties that WMVs typically have set.  The media files can play fine in Windows Media Player and their thumbnails show up in both the shell and in the Windows Media Player library.

However, neither the shell nor Windows Media Player query IPropertyStore for any properties other than PKEY_Thumbnail and PKEY_ThumbnailStream and I know for certain that for WMVs, a ton of properties are queried first before the thumbnails.  As a result, the shell properties->details tab, properties pane and inline durations are missing or empty for files and the Windows Media Player library shows media items with a duration of 0 seconds. 

Worst of all when you try to play an item from the library, you can't seek through it, but launching it directly through the shell works and you can seek fine.  I'm guessing this is because of the missing property information, but I'm not so sure.

What am I doing wrong here?

Friday, June 10, 2011 4:03 AM

All replies