Service unavailable - Can't run Central Admin - Event Error: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error LookupAccountName RRS feed

• Question

• I can't run the Sharepoint Central admin. I get 

Service Unavailable

I check the event log and see:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error LookupAccountName( NULL, domainname\username, NULL, p, NULL, p, p).  hr = 0x800706fd.

I try to restart the sharepoint service but I can no longer authenticate as the user.  I'd like to change the user it's using, but changing in the service does not get rid of the error..

How can I change the domain and user it's using if I can't run central admin? Again, i try  changing in the Volume Shadow Copy Service and it don't do anything.

I've done an IIS reset. I've checked and all moss wfe are up.

I am able to access to the site, just not the central admin.

Thanks for any help or info!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:02 PM

Answers

• Service Unavailable is almost always related to the Application Pool that the Web App is running under.  Open inetmgr and check your application pool.  You will probably find one there that is not running.  Change the login for that app pool to a correct domain user and reset iis and try again.
    Robert Stark MCTS - MOSS 2007 MCTS - WSS 3.0 ---www.thesharepointranch.com --- cas.excell.com
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:10 PM

All replies

• It may be easier and faster for you to make backups of your WSS_Content_Guid databases and reinstall using the correct configuration, domain, and user you are wanting to use. 

After the reinstall, re-attach your backed up content databases.

The entire process can be done in as little as 30 minutes or so.  You may have already spent that trying to figure out what's going on.

Shannon Bray - MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:26 PM
  • Service Unavailable is almost always related to the Application Pool that the Web App is running under.  Open inetmgr and check your application pool.  You will probably find one there that is not running.  Change the login for that app pool to a correct domain user and reset iis and try again.
    Robert Stark MCTS - MOSS 2007 MCTS - WSS 3.0 ---www.thesharepointranch.com --- cas.excell.com
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:10 PM